Ball valve wont open

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a ball valve that won't open. I've tried turning it as hard as I dare but it won't budge. any ideas on how to open it without busting the tank?

pCBD2Dd.jpg

Ken logan

Elite reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may have glued the inside of the ball valve together.Very tough to get open sometimes impossible

claus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation. It seems the bigger ball valves have problems with detritus and small particulates being trapped between the moving parts. I had to use a wrench and it broke one of the winglets but was still usable. I have since replaced it with a gate valve which seems to have solved the problem for me.

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to have to use a wrench and it’s either going to break or not but you better have replacement supplies at the ready. You could use a hair dryer and heat it up a little it will cause some expansion on the outside jacket which may help get it going

OP
OP
S

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few of those style ball valves at one point. Had the same problem you are having, wound up cutting them out and replacing them with GF true union ball valves.

how do you recommend cutting them out without putting too much pressure on the bulkhead?

OP
OP
S

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to have to use a wrench and it’s either going to break or not but you better have replacement supplies at the ready. You could use a hair dryer and heat it up a little it will cause some expansion on the outside jacket which may help get it going

is there any concern about using a wrench putting too much torque on the bulkhead?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why unions are so handy. Being that the pipe and ball valve are glued, you'll likely need to replace the bulk head, ball valve and some piping. I would redo it and add a union before and after the valve for quick and easy removal for maintenence or emergency situations.

OP
OP
S

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May need to rebuild that line from the tank. Is that a socket weld bulkhead?

not sure what a socket weld bulkhead is, it's a 1" bulkhead that has a gasket on wet side and a socket ring on the other? sorry, don't know the terminology, bought this tank off another reefer.

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A socket fitting is one that is glued in. The line with the ball valve appears to be glued into the bulkhead, whereas the one to the left of it is threaded into the bulkhead.

OP
OP
S

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A socket fitting is one that is glued in. The line with the ball valve appears to be glued into the bulkhead, whereas the one to the left of it is threaded into the bulkhead.

ah then yes, the guy i bought it off said he had wanted to convert them all to threaded and had only done the middle one so far. I just wanted the tank to be set up asap since i bought the full setup from him. how do you recommend i cut out the pvc? pvc cutters? just trying to figure out the best way to cut it out without stressing the bulkhead/glass

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah then yes, the guy i bought it off said he had wanted to convert them all to threaded and had only done the middle one so far. I just wanted the tank to be set up asap since i bought the full setup from him. how do you recommend i cut out the pvc? pvc cutters? just trying to figure out the best way to cut it out without stressing the bulkhead/glass
You will need to replace that bulkhead. I suggest getting a new 1” threaded bulkhead and rebuilding that line. Get a thread by socket adaptor and rebuild it with a union ball valve in line.

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if that pvc is glued into the bottom of that bulkhead and not threaded you’ll have to replace it. There is nowhere to cut and leave anything left to work with. That coupling is right next to the valve. PVC cutters don’t cost that much a good thing to have around the house

OP
OP
S

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if that pvc is glued into the bottom of that bulkhead and not threaded you’ll have to replace it. There is nowhere to cut and leave anything left to work with. That coupling is right next to the valve. PVC cutters don’t cost that much a good thing to have around the house

Can you walk me through how best to do the cutting? Drain the overflow, loosen the bulkhead, then use pvc cutters? or drain, cut, loosen? Not sure the best approach for this.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have enough PVC pipe left under the bulkhead and the coupling. Using a hacksaw blade (buy hacksaw blade holder at hardware store) cut tight to the top of the coupling. Should leave you about 1" of PVC under the bulkhead. Buy another coupling, pipe & glue. Repipe with new double union ball valve.

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you walk me through how best to do the cutting? Drain the overflow, loosen the bulkhead, then use pvc cutters? or drain, cut, loosen? Not sure the best approach for this.
If you were to cut that pipe right flush with the top of that 1” coupling, how much pipe would be left hanging out of the bulkhead?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are trying to turn the handle clockwise to open?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back