Banana eel stoped eating after 3 years of regular feedings

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been almost 3 months since my Banana eel has eaten,any advice on how to get it eating again ? What can cause this and how long before they will starve ?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always a reason. So you've had him for 3 years, in what size tank? Was he full grown when you got him? Exactly, and I mean anything and everything could have changed in the tank. Chemistry, tank mates, etc. What have you been feeding him, how much of each, and how often?

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is kept in a 130 gal, has grown 5-6” since I got him and about 21-22” now
About 4 months ago my Rhinopias scorpionfish died he was full grown and ate everything I put in .Besides that all my other fish are fat and healthy(Radiata,Fu Manchu ,marine betta).Water parameters in check and coral doing well.Ge was eating about 1/2 a jumbo shrimp every 2-3 days and ghost shrimp occasionally

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried other foods, I've found many eels get excited by octopus and squid. Have you tried to chum the water to get him excited. Sounds like he grew from a juvi to a sub-adult/adult, so who knows maybe a maturing process could throw him off feeding. Obviously there's no way to tell if there's something internal as long as there's been no treatment in your care.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back