Banana Eel vs. Golden Dwarf Moray

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m not sure if you’ve seen my most recent build but it’s a hexagon bonsai inspired eel tank. I really want to have two eels in the tank. I currently have a 10”-12” snowflake in a 36 and set the hex up with the intent on moving him once it is cycled. Now that’s out of the way, back to the main question. I love how a banana eel looks but heard the can be very aggressive. I also wouldn’t mind the golden dwarf because it’s colors would contrast the black sand well, they’re small and have a more peaceful temperament (so I’ve heard) I’m also considering a ghost or black ribbon eel but heard they are hard to take care of. Which one of these eels would be a better option to go with the snowflake? And what order should I add them in? (I’ve heard more aggressive last) I plan on cycling the tank with a pair of tomato clowns and want to eventually put in a freckle face hawkfish and maybe a starry blenny. Not sure what other fish. Thank you for any help!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The banana eel is a dynamic fang tooth eel, For them to co-exist with another eel it would have to be a pretty large tank, and have at least 6' of swim space and multiple choices for den options. I don't believe a snowflake would be up to the task of handling a banana eel.

The dwarf eel is very passive, and quite small compared to the snowflake. While the snowflake doesn't have a reputation of being aggressive towards other eels, I would be concerned of the size difference, at least at 1st.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The banana eel is a dynamic fang tooth eel, For them to co-exist with another eel it would have to be a pretty large tank, and have at least 6' of swim space and multiple choices for den options. I don't believe a snowflake would be up to the task of handling a banana eel.

The dwarf eel is very passive, and quite small compared to the snowflake. While the snowflake doesn't have a reputation of being aggressive towards other eels, I would be concerned of the size difference, at least at 1st.
So I would want to get a roughly full grown (or close to it) dwarf eel so he’s the same size or a little larger than my snowflake? I suppose worst case scenario (cheapest too) I could just get another snowflake… my local fish store has two for sale.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would want to get a roughly full grown (or close to it) dwarf eel so he’s the same size or a little larger than my snowflake? I suppose worst case scenario (cheapest too) I could just get another snowflake… my local fish store has two for sale.

The skelator is a good option for a tankmate for the snowflake.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skelator is a good option for a tankmate for the snowflake.
I saw that and they look super cool! However it says they get decently big and I don’t think my tank could hold it. Although…. My brother has a red tailed boa he is looking to upgrade its current enclosure, decided it would be cheaper to make it out of plexiglass and we had a brief discussion of buying enough plexiglass and making a larger reef tank for me while he’s buying sheets. hmmm….

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what you do, do not get a blue or black ribbon eel. The white ghost eels do much better but are still hard. How about a Zebra eel? Super passive and sweet for an eel.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what you do, do not get a blue or black ribbon eel. The white ghost eels do much better but are still hard. How about a Zebra eel? Super passive and sweet for an eel.
Zebra eels are actually my favorite. Just never got one due to them getting so big. How long would I have if I put a juvenile in with the snowflake? How quick would he outgrow the tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skelator is about the same size as the snowflake, maybe even smaller, I've seen snowflakes in the 30" range. The snowflake tends to be under reported in size for ditributors to make more sales. If you research non distributor sites you'll find the snowflake gets up to 36" in the wild, and if given room and taken care with proper diet, they will get well over 2'. Most people get the small snowflakes and they are usually dead within months.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skelator is about the same size as the snowflake, maybe even smaller, I've seen snowflakes in the 30" range. The snowflake tends to be under reported in size for ditributors to make more sales. If you research non distributor sites you'll find the snowflake gets up to 36" in the wild, and if given room and taken care with proper diet, they will get well over 2'. Most people get the small snowflakes and they are usually dead within months.
Thank you! Know any reputable sights I might be able to get a skeletor or zebra from? Or just waltz into the LFS and ask them to order me one?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back