OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I am after. I believe this is a true yellow Lokani. Not my photo btw, saw this on a reef builders article a few years ago and have been obsessed ever since.
lokani-1.jpg

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my little frag. Colors faded out a little, but its starting to encrust so I expect them to return soon. I'm hopeful it turns out to be a nice piece.

IMG_1089.jpeg

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love that coral! What lighting & ALK do you run? I can't keep a yellow coral to keeps its color in my tank for some reason.
It's been one of my favs since ATL released it, but basically a myth where I'm from. It's under a 6x24 sunpower with some blue LEDs set to 10%. Haven't tested Alk in a long time, but it usually sits around or just shy of 8. My yellow acros definitely love light. This piece sits in about 450 par.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been one of my favs since ATL released it, but basically a myth where I'm from. It's under a 6x24 sunpower with some blue LEDs set to 10%. Haven't tested Alk in a long time, but it usually sits around or just shy of 8. My yellow acros definitely love light. This piece sits in about 450 par.

Wow 450? I was under the impression that this was a deep water piece and therefore wanted lower light. But its very apparent yours is luvin the sun [emoji1]

Glad to see it fully encrusted. Keep us updated on its progression!

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 450? I was under the impression that this was a deep water piece and therefore wanted lower light. But its very apparent yours is luvin the sun [emoji1]

Glad to see it fully encrusted. Keep us updated on its progression!

It's really species dependent. I have been lucky to spend so much time viewing these corals on the reef. While they may not be the first coral growing on top. They're not really any deeper than a lot of corals we keep in "high light". There are for sure some true deepwaters, but I don't think many of them survive in captivity. Less light and consistently cooler water even at 40-50ft makes them hard to acclimate once collected.

Will keep this updated. Hopefully next time there's more to show.

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

Well, I'm extremely happy this little guy made it through a tank crash and is still with me today. Been in the new system about 2 weeks now. Still getting around 450ish PAR. Colors are returning, and some promising nubs popping up. Thinking I will finally see some new growth other than base here in the next month or so.

IMG_2452.jpeg IMG_2453.jpeg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

Well, I'm extremely happy this little guy made it through a tank crash and is still with me today. Been in the new system about 2 weeks now. Still getting around 450ish PAR. Colors are returning, and some promising nubs popping up. Thinking I will finally see some new growth other than base here in the next month or so.

Looks to be doing well. Thanks for the update!

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw that you got a similar piece. Are you going to be keeping in under the Radions or T5?
The guy I bought it from had it under radions, so I will probably do the same.

What lighting are you using? I forgot.

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I bought it from had it under radions, so I will probably do the same.

What lighting are you using? I forgot.
It's been under T5's, in the other tank I had some strong LED supp. This system is 8x80w ATI no LEDs. It now has daytime PE which it never used to. Wish I could pinpoint the cause of that.

Do you know if your source came from the Atlantis colony? It will be cool to see what you can pull out of your piece. These smoothies are truly unique.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been under T5's, in the other tank I had some strong LED supp. This system is 8x80w ATI no LEDs. It now has daytime PE which it never used to. Wish I could pinpoint the cause of that.

Do you know if your source came from the Atlantis colony? It will be cool to see what you can pull out of your piece. These smoothies are truly unique.
I am not sure. I was buying several frags and I asked if he had anything else. He said he had a Caroliniana aka banana lokani.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

Glad it made it! Thanks for the update. Its definitely a coveted piece.

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was messing around with a 5500k lamp the other day. Just to see what different corals looked like under a more natural spectrum. I was very surprised how much this thing pops under this type of lighting. iPhone pics do no justice for it's coloration, by far the brightest coral in my system. Update as well, finally seeing some upward growth in the last month or so and seems to be picking up speed.
IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2969.jpeg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was messing around with a 5500k lamp the other day. Just to see what different corals looked like under a more natural spectrum. I was very surprised how much this thing pops under this type of lighting. iPhone pics do no justice for it's coloration, by far the brightest coral in my system. Update as well, finally seeing some upward growth in the last month or so and seems to be picking up speed.

Nice, cant wait to see this thing grow up. I definitely have been on the lookout.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's hard for a camera to pick up how bright this thing can be. The guy who I got mine from came over yesterday and we talked about how bright it was.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back