bang for the buck generators for longer term power outages?

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since there seems to be issues with some generators and aquarium equipment. being in the carolina's and the fact that we had two major storms hit us so far this year, whats a bang for the buck alternative/generators for longer outages?

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with DIY car battery inverter power supplies? How long can you sustain a (for example) 100g standard setup with a single car battery?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WannaBSpaghetti you will want to use a deep cycle inverter as it will allow for it to power longer. a good deep cell battery that will power systems will run you close to $200 plus the inverter. I have two for my boat, and good ones are not cheap any more. and to get 1000 watts, you will not get many hours. better to get a small suitcase generator. I have a 1100 watt unit and it is plenty for my reef system.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will that run for? (Assuming that non-essential use is minimized)
I’ve never had to run it for more than three days but theoretically it should last better than 45 days on 200 gal. Of course that all depends on the load

ruth howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5500 watt standard Generac. I put a plug outside the house and installed a transfer switch inside. I don't run my kessel light with it, but it works great for pumps, skimmer, and heaters, as well as, a few lights and my refrigerator. I wouldn't use it for sensitive equipment like the TV or computer. The down side is that you need to be home when the power goes out to hook the generator up. I have been without power for a few hours while not at home. The tank did suffer any. I might get a battery powered air stone for short outages when I am not home.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bang for your buck, check out Harbor Freight, not only do I have one from there for my house, we've used them at work for years. They are a little loud, but most in that class are; they have an inverter style now that is alot quieter. Not top of the line like a Honda, but for the price, totally worth it.

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Pulsar generators, I got 2 of them from the most popular auction website that starts with E. Not sure if I can mention the name. Got free shipping also. They are super quiet and lightweight. I got the suitcase size ones.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had to run it for more than three days but theoretically it should last better than 45 days on 200 gal. Of course that all depends on the load

200 gallon of what fuel lasts 45 days? Have a link to the generator?

Bigmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10k watt brigs and stratton storm defender that i run the entire house with, elect stove, hot water ect, runs everything, best investment ive ever made

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Sarasota fl. We get our fair share of hurricanes and massive lightening storms that put down the power. The hurricane last year left me w no power for 5 days. Disaster!! Just sunk a 500 gallon propane tank and got a Briggs and Stratton 25 Kw whole house generator. Not very “bang for your buck” sey’ but I feel a whole lot better now if a storm heads this way as I know it will sooner than later.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard good things about the inverter generator from northern tool. Comparable to a Honda but much cheaper.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 2000w Honda and a modified UPS that runs off 2 deep cycle batteries. The apex will sense an outage and turn off everything except the return but at a reduced output. A heater will kick on if the temp drops a few deg below the normal range.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gallon of what fuel lasts 45 days? Have a link to the generator?

I don't think so. I have a 20K Kohler stand by which uses 2 gallons of propane per hour when running on typical loads. I have three 100 gallon propane tanks, so run time to empty is about a week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Generac and Kohler !!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. I have a 20K Kohler stand by which uses 2 gallons of propane per hour when running on typical loads. I have three 100 gallon propane tanks, so run time to empty is about a week.

Yeah- that’s why I quoted him haha. I was wondering if he created a perpetual energy device :eek:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back