bang for the buck generators for longer term power outages?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just priced a Generac 22KW for my house and it came in at $10,000. My wife said she would replace all my fish and corals for a lot less. The girl has a point.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 2000w Honda and a modified UPS that runs off 2 deep cycle batteries. The apex will sense an outage and turn off everything except the return but at a reduced output. A heater will kick on if the temp drops a few deg below the normal range.
Very similar to my setup.

JustMe2Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just priced a Generac 22KW for my house and it came in at $10,000. My wife said she would replace all my fish and corals for a lot less. The girl has a point.

Fishnut, why do you need a 22kw? $10k ? Someones ripping you off. I installed mine and spent $4200 total. Mine runs my whole house (2500 sqft) and garage.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JustMe2Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go by Generacs recommendation for a generator. You have to feed that large gen set. If I'm selling them, sure Ill sell you my most expensive item.

I barely load my 11kw with 2 refrigerators , 1 deep freeze, a 125g tank and 2 young kids in a 2500 sqft home. Generac said I needed a 20kw.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- that’s why I quoted him haha. I was wondering if he created a perpetual energy device :eek:

Don’t be petty. I said I estimated as I have never had it run for more than three days which did not use much gas. This could be the load was small since it was in the early spring and we do not heat our house at all.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Westinghouse brand generator from Lowe’s/ Home Depot; seemed to be well-rated by consumers. Not as expensive as a top-of-the-line same sized Honda. Haven’t used it yet—still in the box. But like someone else posted, I will probably get some battery operated pumps (that plug into the wall to detect a power outage) to run air stones until I return home to start up a generator. I saw a new brand/model sold online by BRS that is supposedly much better than the blue plastic LFS junk-ones people hated.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and looked thru a bunch of reviews of all of the whole house generators. I have a 3400 sq ft home w two big ole Tranes to run. With how hot it is down here need the ac. Especially hurricane season. Still 92 plus super high humidity when they hit. I w a 500 gallon will get 4 days out of the 400 gal it gets filled. Now thats me lounging in 68 degree house w as much ability as if power were on. My sister has a Generac 22 kw on her 6000 sq home and she blew thru a 300 gallon tank in 3 days being very frugal on power consumption. That’s why I got bigger tank.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go by Generacs recommendation for a generator. You have to feed that large gen set. If I'm selling them, sure Ill sell you my most expensive item.

I barely load my 11kw with 2 refrigerators , 1 deep freeze, a 125g tank and 2 young kids in a 2500 sqft home. Generac said I needed a 20kw.

I agree. Best to have an electrician look at your peak load level needs and size accordingly. Home Depot sells Generac. Our 17.5 kw ran around 4500. Another 1000 to install.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and looked thru a bunch of reviews of all of the whole house generators. I have a 3400 sq ft home w two big ole Tranes to run. With how hot it is down here need the ac. Especially hurricane season. Still 92 plus super high humidity when they hit. I w a 500 gallon will get 4 days out of the 400 gal it gets filled. Now thats me lounging in 68 degree house w as much ability as if power were on. My sister has a Generac 22 kw on her 6000 sq home and she blew thru a 300 gallon tank in 3 days being very frugal on power consumption. That’s why I got bigger tank.

I’m glad I don’t have your fuel bill.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an 11kw generac. I used to have a small portable but the last major storm(which lasted 5 days) made me lose a nice LTA because I couldn't be home enough to keep everything going all the time and things fluctuated to much so I bit the bullet and put in the propane standby.

Beemer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in the Panhandle of Florida I have also been looking at options, Michael was way to close of a call. Been trying to get my husband on board with getting a whole home generator. After living here for many years and loosing everything in your tank twice, I now have 3 tanks and expensive live stock I do not want to die.

JustMe2Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My final straw was one late summer storm. My home had a small flood from a loss of power/no backup sump pump/ sewer back up. Had 3" of water in my lower level. Replaced everything and bought a small generator to run a sump pump/fridge. I was at work when my wife called. Said we lost power and it was raining hard. The tornado sirens were going off. My town doesn't sound the siren for fun. She took my kids, 3 and 5 months, downstairs just in case. Called to ask if she should drag the gen out and hook it up.
I bought the Generac a month later.

A side note, we used to lose power once a month for no reason. Ever since I installed the generator, we lost power twice in 5 years... Go figure.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya bro. It’s ridiculous. I think just to have the tank sunk and filled was almost 5k. I was not expecting that at all. But I had already got the Generator delivered when the quote came so I was stuck like chuck
Interesting. Why are you required to bury the tank? Not necessary in AL

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had an sps-dominant tank that survived a 9 day power outage with reusable heat packs, bicycle hooks attached to cordless drills as stirrers, battery-powered air pumps, etc. Now we have a 4kw generator from Harbor Freight. We've had it for...hm...7 years I think? It's not enough for the whole house, but it's enough to run the tanks, fridge, and basic necessities. Can't beat it for the price. It's loud and smokey, but in an emergency I'm not terribly worried about that.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My final straw was one late summer storm. My home had a small flood from a loss of power/no backup sump pump/ sewer back up. Had 3" of water in my lower level. Replaced everything and bought a small generator to run a sump pump/fridge. I was at work when my wife called. Said we lost power and it was raining hard. The tornado sirens were going off. My town doesn't sound the siren for fun. She took my kids, 3 and 5 months, downstairs just in case. Called to ask if she should drag the gen out and hook it up.
I bought the Generac a month later.

A side note, we used to lose power once a month for no reason. Ever since I installed the generator, we lost power twice in 5 years... Go figure.
I bet you feel better w it though. I after
Interesting. Why are you required to bury the tank? Not necessary in AL
I live in a deeply deed restricted neighborhood. They would Never allow for the tank exposed plus I believe it’s county ordinance here is Sarasota. I literally had to get my Lawyer involved just to get the ok to sink it in the ground from my **** HOA. Think he charged me $500. I paid a bunch to have installed. I think it was around 13k bye the time it first fired up. Permitting was another hassle and long time to get approved. The whole process really sucked for me and I was not expecting it at all. Ha, I guess I feel better now. Haha. I almost wanted a lil storm to come knock out power for a few hours just to get that little extra good feeling about having it. I’m sure it will be found a great investment one of these days

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of a whole house generator will vary depending upon what you do versus what you have done. The cost of a typical 20K unit is in the $4K range. You'll need something that size if you want to be able to run the A/C, something smaller if not. ATS and electrical installation cost me another $3,500 (in CT). I'm handy, but that was not something I'd be comfortable doing myself. Since we don't have utility gas supply, gas piping, cylinders and an initial fill was another $4K. So with tax, etc., over $12K total.

Is it worth it? Only you can say. I have sizably more than $12K in livestock, so for me the answer was easy. I relied on a gasoline portable for many years (I still have it as backup for the backup) but it's problematic if you travel for business and don't have somebody that really understands the system to be your backup.

Picard's Lionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22kw homeywell for me. Runs my house and my shop. We went 4 days without power. Had a little over 8k invested for the generator, propane supply, and electrician. It was nice to keep all my outside lights on at night. We had mucho looters in my area after the storm. Downside in my in laws stayed with us

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back