Bangai cardinals quarantine??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw closely, there were 2 big orange/yellow balls poping out of both the gills. What can that be? I saw pics of flukes, doesnt look like that.
Or is it a different tyoe of gill flukes??

Did you take a photo of it? I've never seen anything like that before.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take a photo of it? I've never seen anything like that before.
cee99440e66fa694ac585d069ea6c0e2.jpg

Its a net pic. But was like this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks somewhat like an abscess. Fluid would have filled areas inside the gills for this to happen. And excess fluid usually only forms when worms/parasites are present. This would also explain the heavy breathing.

If you added this fish to your DT, there's a good possibility you cross contaminated. :(

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks somewhat like an abscess. Fluid would have filled areas inside the gills for this to happen. And excess fluid usually only forms when worms/parasites are present. This would also explain the heavy breathing.

If you added this fish to your DT, there's a good possibility you cross contaminated. :(
So should i add prazipro to dt? There is only 1 ywg and 1 urchin

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jus saw my ywg, its breathing heavy and has red gills and inside mouth also red.. what to do? Thats flukes??? Plsss help asap

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try Prazipro, but that will only help if it is flukes.
Why has tge mouth inside and the gills turned red? What can be tge reason? I had transfered it to qt and added prazipro 80% of the recomended dose on the bottle.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why has tge mouth inside and the gills turned red? What can be tge reason? I had transfered it to qt and added prazipro 80% of the recomended dose on the bottle.

Just a theory, but parasites or worms inside the gills might be causing inflammation.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a theory, but parasites or worms inside the gills might be causing inflammation.
Its morning here, i jus got up and saw, the heavy breating has stopped. Will be watching closely for the day as its in qt. Do i continue the treatment as mentioned on the bottle.

What should i do about the parasite in the dt? Should i dose prazipro in dt?? Its fishless now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its morning here, i jus got up and saw, the heavy breating has stopped. Will be watching closely for the day as its in qt. Do i continue the treatment as mentioned on the bottle.

What should i do about the parasite in the dt? Should i dose prazipro in dt?? Its fishless now.

I would continue to treat the ywg and go fallow in the DT for at least 6 weeks.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would continue to treat the ywg and go fallow in the DT for at least 6 weeks.
Yea, the ywg is looking much better and eating, the redness has gone. How long do i keep dosing prazi every 5days (right)?

Cant i add prazi into dt?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator to know exactly when to redose Prazi: http://marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

And you can also use prazi in the DT to clear flukes as well.

ARE SKIN FLUKES AND GILL FLUKES DIFFERENT??

Just came across this:

MEDICATIONS & SUPPLEMENTS

PraziPro-Praziquantel has long been the medication of choice for treating flatworms of all kinds, but it is not equally efficacious for all species. Neobenedenia is far more resistant to this treatment than its close relative, Benedenia; administering praziquantel with food is generally ineffective and only at exceptionally high doses (2.5-5.0 ppm) in the water column was it reliably lethal. Considering the expense involved in reaching these concentrations in a large aquarium and the difficulty in calculating a proper dosage, this method is, at best, unreliable. I’ve seen this first hand in a large retail aquarium setting, as praziquantel more often than not failed to do more than temporarily reduce the numbers of flukes present. Further complicating matters, after as little as two days, praziquantel has been shown to become undetectable in a biologically mature aquarium, presumably due to bacterial degradation. Trichlorfon (sold as Dylox) has also been attempted as a treatment, with some success noted in aquarium studies, but at least one public aquarium succeeded in killing scores of fishes using this method.

Garlic extract has been investigated as a natural remedy for treating Neobenedenia, and, interestingly, it has shown surprisingly good results on the eggs and newly hatched larvae when administered into the water column. At a high enough dosage (15.2 μL/L), hatching was reduced to around 5%, but this level of survival is still unacceptably high when attempting to entirely eliminate an infestation, and adults and juvenile flukes show high tolerance to this treatment. Alternatively, garlic can be directly added to a flake or pelleted food, which can reduce the rate of infection by 70%; however, there may be a delayed response to this acquired resistance which necessitates at least a month of regular garlic feedings before results are actually seen.

EFFECTIVELY KILLING FLUKES
To summarize, the best method for killing Neobenedenia skin flukes is to employ a hyposalinity treatment (<15ppt) for an adequate enough period of time (7+ days) so as to ensure that zero eggs or adults can survive. In an infested fish-only aquarium, the best course of action is to simply lower the salinity directly in the display tank. The same treatment can be used as a quarantine for newly acquired fishes to prevent problems from developing in the first place. For fish heavily infested, a 10 minute dip in freshwater of an equal pH and temperature can provide more immediate relief. Treating a reef aquarium is more daunting and would require the removal of all fishes to be treated in a separate quarantine tank. This is often easier said than done, so an alternate method would rely on a mix of cleaner organisms (Elacatinus, Labroides, Lysmata, Periclimenes) to reduce levels more naturally. Praziquantel is not strongly recommended, as it has a high likelihood of failing to completely eliminate the problem, even if it does provide some temporary relief. And, lastly, a food high in garlic should always be fed to ward off not only Neobenedenia, but many of the other common aquarium parasites as well. By following these simple rules, skin flukes should never be a problem again.

Here is the full article :

https://reefs.com/2016/07/15/eliminating-saltwater-aquarium-skin-flukes-part-2/
You can use this calculator to know exactly when to redose Prazi: http://marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

And you can also use prazi in the DT to clear flukes as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Based purely on my anecdotal experience using Prazipro, it clears most flukes the vast majority of the time. However, nothing works 100% of the time; and formalin baths & hyposalinity are options for prazi resistant strains.

Interestingly, Prazipro contains a 2.5 ppm concentration of praziquantel. Which is within the "exceptionally high dose" the author recommends for it to be "reliably lethal". ;)

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Based purely on my anecdotal experience using Prazipro, it clears most flukes the vast majority of the time. However, formalin baths and hyposalinity are options for prazi resistant strains.

Interestingly, Prazipro contains a 2.5 ppm concentration of praziquantel. Which is within the "exceptionally high dose" the author recommends for it to be "reliably lethal". ;)
Yea the article was good. Also it suggests adding a cleaner wrasse and skunk cleaner shrimp, will be adding it for sure.

However iv noticed change within just a night. Goby is looking much better. I still dont know how the bangais died even approx 2weeks of after prazi and copper.

Wont get fishes from that lfs for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back