Banggai cardinal bullied

Jon_CA

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2021
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Pleasanton
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one juvenile banggai cardinal that was in my tank for about a month. Now I just got another one of the same size. The new one is getting bullied the first day. When I picked it up, its fin was nipped at the fish store (I didn’t notice until I got home). It got further damaged by the other banggai in my tank. I put the new one in the breeder box for the past few days and seems to be better.

Do you think they will eventually get along after being separated in the breeder for a few days? How long should I leave it in the box?

Can anyone tell the genders of these two fish?

F08D8359-3B91-4C8F-BEB0-DD05B249C12E.jpeg
2D520F08-5B46-4D32-A9F7-AC307F3B91B7.jpeg
 
I had 2 that I introduced together years ago and they did well. Recently, I picked up a mature one for my Nuvo 20 and he seems to be aggressive. Not sure if yours will settle down. I have thought about returning mine several times. You might consider trading in your larger one and getting another small one.
 
I have a big pajama and even though people think they are peaceful my mine chases anyone that comes close to it
 
Mine even chases my cherub angel. IMO I would get rid of these in a small tank. There are plenty other "nicer" fish you can get.
 
Mine even chases my cherub angel. IMO I would get rid of these in a small tank. There are plenty other "nicer" fish you can get.
Mines in my 60 and chases my mccoskers wrasse and flameback angel
 
That's surprising to hear cardinals can be so aggressive.

How do you tell the gender of banggais? Can anyone tell from the pictures above? I wonder if the aggression is due to both being the same gender.
 
[QUOTE="Jon_CA, post: 9071014, member: I wonder if the aggression is due to both being the same gender.
[/QUOTE]

That is likely. They only are social as juveniles. Pajamas are more social as adults.

I can't tell sexes apart
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new