Banggai cardinal laying on his side and breathing heavy

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230212_084026.jpg

Woke up and found this guy laying on his side and breathing heavy, all other fish and corals acting fine, ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate is 10, hydrogen peroxide was used about 3 days ago and corals were glued yesterday. he's part of a mated pair and the other one is acting fine, any ideas?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More information would be helpful. Has there been any new additions? How long have you had this fish? Have all fish been QT'D? Why were you using hydrogen peroxide?

I would also post a video under white lighting of the fish to verify how quickly the fish is breathing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
20230212_084026.jpg

Woke up and found this guy laying on his side and breathing heavy, all other fish and corals acting fine, ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate is 10, hydrogen peroxide was used about 3 days ago and corals were glued yesterday. he's part of a mated pair and the other one is acting fine, any ideas?
These guys are active all night and startle very easily and may have crashed into object. Another possibility- Is it carrying eggs in its mouth?
Peroxide is an oxidizer and could have caused adverse effect even without others affected.
Fish appears to be moribund which is similar to a comatose state and may not be able to swim or eat in this state and may not make it to prepare you for the worse

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back