Banggai cardinalfish hiding and not eating

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of starting my first saltwater aquarium which is a 120 gallon FOWLR. Yesterday I got my first fish, a banggai cardinalfish. It is currently in my 10 gallon QT tank before it will go in the display. Since I got it yesterday, it has been hiding in the corner of the tank underneath the heater and has not eaten anything. I have attempted feeding pellets and frozen mysis shrimp. At the fish store it was out in the open and eating (I asked the employee to feed it so I could make sure it ate). I know it is normal for fish to be nervous the first few days in a new tank, but I just wanted to ask in this forum and make sure this is normal and that there’s not anything to be concerned about. Does anyone have experience with banggai cardinalfish doing this?
image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has found a place to hide. If you give it more places to do this it will move around more. Plus it prob had more friends and now is all alone.

OP
OP
mia424

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has found a place to hide. If you give it more places to do this it will move around more. Plus it prob had more friends and now is all alone.
Thank you for your reply! I will try to find some things to add to give it more hiding places. It was alone in the tank at the fish store, but I will be getting a pair of clownfish in a few weeks so then there will be more fish to keep it company. I did notice it came out late last night and started swimming around a bit after the room was dark, so that’s a good sign I think. I still haven’t seen it eat, but it’s possible that it ate some after I left the room because the mysis shrimp I added last night were gone this morning (unless they just got sucked up the filter, which is also a possibility).

Thank you again for the advice!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They hide during the day and come out in the evening and always come out for food. If youre feeding dry foods- It will not be interested. Frozen meaty foods is key
If feeding frozen, then you may be looking at internal infection.

OP
OP
mia424

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - just stressed with the new tank. The clowns would probably only stress it out more.
The fish store had to order the clowns for me so they won’t be in for a few weeks, do you think by then it would be okay? I’m hoping it won’t be so stressed after a few weeks of getting used to the new tank.

OP
OP
mia424

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually keep some plastic plants in QT. It's probably scared like crazy in that environment.
Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll definitely go get some plastic plants to add! I have some PVC pipes in the tank right now as that was what was recommended in the research I did before setting up the QT, but I think the plants would probably be a better hiding place as the fish hasn’t really shown any interest in the pipes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there no pvc pipes in there or anything for it to hide in? I wouldnt like to be naked out in the open in front of strangers either. It takes time for the fish to get to know you and trust you.

EDIT: saw above that you have pipes, thats good

OP
OP
mia424

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide during the day and come out in the evening and always come out for food. If youre feeding dry foods- It will not be interested. Frozen meaty foods is key
If feeding frozen, then you may be looking at internal infection.
I have been feeding frozen PE mysis shrimp that the fish store recommended. I’m not sure if it’s an infection as I had the employee at the fish store add some food to the tank and I watched the fish eat a good amount right before I got him. The employee also said the fish had been in that tank for about 2.5 weeks and seemed to be doing fine. Do you think it could’ve gotten an infection that quickly from bringing it home? I’ll keep an eye out for any other signs of illness.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been feeding frozen PE mysis shrimp that the fish store recommended. I’m not sure if it’s an infection as I had the employee at the fish store add some food to the tank and I watched the fish eat a good amount right before I got him. The employee also said the fish had been in that tank for about 2.5 weeks and seemed to be doing fine. Do you think it could’ve gotten an infection that quickly from bringing it home? I’ll keep an eye out for any other signs of illness.
Infection always probable with transfer but there would be signs. Other foods:
LRS Reef frenzy
small plankton
krill
Spirulina brine shrimp

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience banggai cardinal fish that are often toted as easy beginner fish are in actuality very sensitive and easy to kill. The smaller they are the harder they are to keep. I've found lower water flow and pristine water conditions can help. But don't beat yourself if you're parameters are on point and he dies anyways. That being said I feel like once they get used to the water, start eating, and grow for about a month it's smooth sailing afterwards.

This is solely based of my own personal experience and my friend who has had a similar experience in which between the 2 of us many banggai have met there demise unfortunately.

OP
OP
mia424

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Infection always probable with transfer but there would be signs. Other foods:
LRS Reef frenzy
small plankton
krill
Spirulina brine shrimp
Okay, I will make sure to look out for any other signs. I will try some of those foods and see if it will, hopefully, eat those. Thank you for your help and suggestions!

OP
OP
mia424

mia424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience banggai cardinal fish that are often toted as easy beginner fish are in actuality very sensitive and easy to kill. The smaller they are the harder they are to keep. I've found lower water flow and pristine water conditions can help. But don't beat yourself if you're parameters are on point and he dies anyways. That being said I feel like once they get used to the water, start eating, and grow for about a month it's smooth sailing afterwards.

This is solely based of my own personal experience and my friend who has had a similar experience in which between the 2 of us many banggai have met there demise unfortunately.
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with them! I've also seen a lot about them being easy fish and the fish store recommended it to me as a good, hardy beginner fish so that is frustrating! I'll try to turn down the flow a little bit and make sure I keep testing the parameters to ensure they are good. Thank you so much for your insight and advice!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back