Banggai cardinalfish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals just kind of lurk in the shadows (and sometimes right out in the open). They remain perfectly still most of the time, so it's only typically during feeding when they show some movement and you think to yourself "whoa! where did that fish come from?"

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same situation as you. My 32 had a purple firefish, yellow watchman, and 2 davinci clowns, all super happy, and the firefish was the boss of the tank. I decided to get a banggai as a last fish, the banggai thinks its clown, it keeps hanging in their corner and it ignores the yellow watchman but it stares at the firefish all day. It doesn't "chase" my firefish, but it goes close and tries to nudge it, but the firefish is so fast it just swims around the banggai before it knows what happened. They've been staring at each other week, and banggai has tried a few jabs at firefish but the firefish still stays out all day and doesnt seem worried. I've been trying to feed a little more to keep everyone happy, and so far I don't regret my purchase, its been about 2 weeks now.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your afraid to add anything else to your tank your going to get tired of this hobby. Part of the fun is adding to it and keeping it thriving. It's smart to do your research, that too is part of the fun. Make your own decisions about what to add. I've had a banggai as well as a pajama for a couple of years and I like them both. They're probably the most peaceful fish in my tank, never bother anything and they're very hardy. I personally like the way they just hover. Some call that boring, I think they're cool.

Last edited:

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your afraid to add anything else to your tank your going to get tired of this hobby. Part of the fun is adding to it and keeping it thriving. It's smart to do your research, that too is part of the fun. Make your own decisions about what to add. I've had a banggai as well as a pajama for a couple of years and I like them both. They're probably the most peaceful fish in my tank, never bother anything and they're very hardy. I personally like the way they just hover. Some call that boring, I think they're cool.

I think this depends a lot on what you have already and what your process for adding new fish is.

I have no plans to add any fish in the near future. I have a decent amount of fish already.

Last October when I set my new tank up, I immediately lost about $400+ worth of fish to velvet. I was someone who didn't quarantine fish. I saw what I liked at the fish store, I bought it and put it in my tank etc.

After that episode and having to leave the tank fallow for awhile, I started to QT all my incoming fish. With the QT process, I still lost fish at an alarming rate. But eventually I got all my current fish through the process and all my fish are healthy and happy now.

Seeing a fish I want at the fish store and impulse buying it is no longer an option for me. There is no way in the world I'm going to risk all the fish I currently have in my tank for another addition. Which means I'm going to need to set up my QT tanks etc.

While there are a few fish I'd like to get, having to do all that QT work really puts a damper on it. I have 4 cardinals, but I've bought about 12 of them total.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Bangai Cardinals. Very easy, cheap, readily available, mostly tank raised fish and they spawn constantly. The fry are huge and simple to raise. Whats not to like?

Mine are spawning now. Either that or they are just smiling a lot. :oops:

On the other hand I find tangs very boring as they are the most common fish in the hobby and on the reefs.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210628_183823.jpg

I am pretty sure it is a male and a female, they are happily munching on pods at the back behind a cave.... Thank you everyone for the advise!

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Bangai Cardinals. Very easy, cheap, readily available, mostly tank raised fish and they spawn constantly. The fry are huge and simple to raise. Whats not to like?

Mine are spawning now. Either that or they are just smiling a lot. :oops:

On the other hand I find tangs very boring as they are the most common fish in the hobby and on the reefs.

I wish I could take a picture that nice.... absolutely stunning.

Back