Banggai cardinalfish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went into the LFS with the kids today and they saw some Banggai Cardinalfish that they want. I told them they need to research them first and think about it.
We have plenty of room for them, but the problem is everything in the tank is going great currently. All levels have been very stable great growth on all my coral, other fish are getting along great..... Basically right now the tank is in a state of bliss and I am afraid of some how throwing the whole universe out of whack.

Am I being too superstitious or are there others that get to a point sometimes where they do not want to even take the slightest chance with even a small change LOL.....

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, at one point, the bough will break and the cradle fall.
The Bangaii on its own does not seem overly risky. Success would depend on who else is already in the group and tank size.
But I know just how you feel.
DB8E1160-7D08-4DE9-822E-DF5DE4ED90E8.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally they seem like boring fish to me, which probably does equate to ‘not risky’ if you want to look at it that way. But I definitely know the feeling of not wanting to rock a stable boat with the ‘one last fish.’ Self-control can be tough. Lol. :)

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally they seem like boring fish to me, which probably does equate to ‘not risky’ if you want to look at it that way. But I definitely know the feeling of not wanting to rock a stable boat with the ‘one last fish.’ Self-control can be tough. Lol. :)
I do pretty good with self control when it come to fish, but not so good when it comes to coral or Oreo cookies for that matter haha

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can help is having somewhat expensive fish. When you have things like an adult Clown Trigger, French Angel, Emperor Angel, Purple Tang, you think twice about wiping out your tank with a diseased Clown or Damsel. Lol!

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can help is having somewhat expensive fish. When you have things like an adult Clown Trigger, French Angel, Emperor Angel, Purple Tang, you think twice about wiping out your tank with a diseased Clown or Damsel. Lol!
In my house it just all depends on who is a favorite we had a freshwater fish once (probably cost 3.99) that was 10 years old and no one had ever mentioned liking it and one day it was laying on the bottom looking sick and you would have thought it was a family member to my kids....

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went into the LFS with the kids today and they saw some Banggai Cardinalfish that they want. I told them they need to research them first and think about it.
We have plenty of room for them, but the problem is everything in the tank is going great currently. All levels have been very stable great growth on all my coral, other fish are getting along great..... Basically right now the tank is in a state of bliss and I am afraid of some how throwing the whole universe out of whack.

Am I being too superstitious or are there others that get to a point sometimes where they do not want to even take the slightest chance with even a small change LOL.....
in terms of compatibility they are generally good easy fish. they to better in estabilished reef tanks with a lot of places for them to swim thru and hide. Stress kills more fish than disease.

so i think the real question is
1) what you currently have?
2) do your filtration have room to support one more?
3) do your aquascape/reefscape have enough un-claimed features for the fish?
4) do you trust the LFS to keep disease free? or do you have a QT.

If answer is "yes" to all of the above, then you should be OK with getting it.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in terms of compatibility they are generally good easy fish. they to better in estabilished reef tanks with a lot of places for them to swim thru and hide. Stress kills more fish than disease.

so i think the real question is
1) what you currently have?
2) do your filtration have room to support one more?
3) do your aquascape/reefscape have enough un-claimed features for the fish?
4) do you trust the LFS to keep disease free? or do you have a QT.

If answer is "yes" to all of the above, then you should be OK with getting it.
It is a 75 with 3 small fish a cleaner shrimp that all get along great
My Nitrates currently stay right at 2 PPM (So really it may be beneficial here)
I have a lot of structure with caves and hiding spots
4 Yes and yes

It is pretty much a no brainer but I am still superstitious because it is going so well right now..... and once we buy a fish it becomes family for life......

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 75 with 3 small fish a cleaner shrimp that all get along great
My Nitrates currently stay right at 2 PPM (So really it may be beneficial here)
I have a lot of structure with caves and hiding spots
4 Yes and yes

It is pretty much a no brainer but I am still superstitious because it is going so well right now..... and once we buy a fish it becomes family for life......
forgot to mention - captive-bred will be a lot easier than wild-caught so ask your LPS. They come only from Indonesia (?) with very specific habitat so in the early days of this hobby, survival rate is not high and they may have gotten a bad rap. Should be easier now if captive-bred.. Seems you are on the right track b/c you did tell your kids that research must be done before adding so you are doing all the right steps.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention - captive-bred will be a lot easier than wild-caught so ask your LPS. They come only from Indonesia (?) with very specific habitat so in the early days of this hobby, survival rate is not high and they may have gotten a bad rap. Should be easier now if captive-bred.. Seems you are on the right track b/c you did tell your kids that research must be done before adding so you are doing all the right steps.

Good Luck!
Thank you!
The LFS gets them captive bread from a supplier I think from TN....
Even with that I usually like to watch fish eat before we buy if possible just to be extra careful.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tremendously boring fish. I kept one for about 5 years until I gave him away. The larger he became the more territorial and aggressive he became.
That is somewhat what I am afraid of, at the same time my kids would probably just make me get another tank instead of giving it away so that may not be too bad haha...

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remind your self also that they need extra feeding or they tend to get skinny. Idk they may be boring but they are kind of cool looking.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is somewhat what I am afraid of, at the same time my kids would probably just make me get another tank instead of giving it away so that may not be too bad haha...
I got almost out of the hobby entirely. I was down to a goby and a clown that my kid insisted I keep. That one fish has resulted in so many tanks.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tremendously boring fish. I kept one for about 5 years until I gave him away. The larger he became the more territorial and aggressive he became.
How dare you! Personally, I really like Cardinals, but I can understand why you might think they’re boring (I mean, you’re wrong, but I can understand why you’d think that:)).

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 4 in my tank. You may call it boring, but I like them because they don't move around much, while most of the other fish are constantly moving around. It's a contrasting behavior and that makes them unique/interesting.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that as being more of a ‘plus’ @mindme, having a mini-school, hanging out still for some contrast.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't get them if it was the only fish I could have, but they are nice addition to an active tank. Almost like a background fish in a way, never the big focus and they don't stand out much but still there.

I wish they schooled a little closer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back