Barbonias won't eat

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I might have the worst luck with fish in QT. I bought this guy on Monday along with a supermale Eightline flasher. Wrasse is eating the Barbonias for the first few days was hanging out behind either the heater or the HOB upside down. Now he's hiding under a rock and hasn't touched food. No meds yet in the QT. I've had one before and he ate like a piranha.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bummer. what are you trying to feed?
Ive had my borb since the 18th, in QT and doing TTM. First few days, he was pale, hiding, and fairly inactive, but still ate a bit. After that hes been a pig, eats every time I put food in the tank and searches the whole 10g for food. just added prazi with the most recent transfer and doesnt seem to be inhibiting his feeding response at all.
maybe try some different food offerings? Whered ya get the borb?

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. thats a selection indeed. mine has been getting Rods food and eggs, and some reef frenzy. Honestly, I like the rods food much more than the reeffrenzy. less seaweed, and doesnt cloud my tank as fast/much.

maybe you need to try some live food to entice him, BBS or blackworms?

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. thats a selection indeed. mine has been getting Rods food and eggs, and some reef frenzy. Honestly, I like the rods food much more than the reeffrenzy. less seaweed, and doesnt cloud my tank as fast/much.

maybe you need to try some live food to entice him, BBS or blackworms?

Yeah, I was thinking that. Im going to try and get some today.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he comes out, is there a chance of grabbing some video? He didn't seem to have any trouble staying "down" did he? Sometimes when these guys hide or pin themselves around or under objects it's because they have decompression issues. When I bought my three, there were others in the tank that we're having the issue. If they came from the same catch, which I think they did, it shows they all handled the acent differently.

If you grab some video of him hanging about, we'll be able to tell. Once you see it and then normal behavior, it gets easier to spot.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he comes out, is there a chance of grabbing some video? He didn't seem to have any trouble staying "down" did he? Sometimes when these guys hide or pin themselves around or under objects it's because they have decompression issues. When I bought my three, there were others in the tank that we're having the issue. If they came from the same catch, which I think they did, it shows they all handled the acent differently.

If you grab some video of him hanging about, we'll be able to tell. Once you see it and then normal behavior, it gets easier to spot.

I will try. I was thinking that too. He was hanging out at the top and then I saw him swimming normally at the bottom and pinning himself underneath the rock.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issue, and have tried all the exact same foods. It seems like he is afraid of the food when I put it in the tank. Will keep watching this thread, hopefully yours will come around. Mine took about a week and is now out in front, just not interested in eating. Am going to try newly hatched brine shrimp, I'll update if successful.

koifour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one behave the same way. I finally decided to treat with Maracyn two and the fish start to recover after 3 doses. He is now totally recovered after 5 day treatments and eats like a pig.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issue, and have tried all the exact same foods. It seems like he is afraid of the food when I put it in the tank. Will keep watching this thread, hopefully yours will come around. Mine took about a week and is now out in front, just not interested in eating. Am going to try newly hatched brine shrimp, I'll update if successful.

Please do. BTW, where did you get yours from?

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right on. I figured somewhere on the east coast, since youre in NJ. wasnt sure if it was an LFS or ordered from east coast vendor.

good luck getting him to eat. its such a cool fish!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BBS is probably on the small side to entice most borbs unless fish is super tiny. I would try small live ghost/grass shrimp (most LFS sell them).
He was hanging out at the top and then I saw him swimming normally at the bottom and pinning himself underneath the rock.
If really pinning himself under rocks it may be having buoyancy issues as Lionfish Lair suggested.

Back