Barbonias won't eat

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not easy to detect, especially in the short bursts of time you're able to observe him swimming. They can maintain it for awhile and then they get tired. Don't look for the belly to swell with this type of injury. I hope I'm wrong and he's just a nervous Nellie, but we're getting into heading into a second week of not eating......

EAT!!!!!!!!!!

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try turning off any filters/powerheads and wait until water is still. Then use a feeder/dropper and drop a few pieces of food in front of him. At first, mine glued himself under the rock for 3 days and didn't want to swim for food. When I turned everything off and dropped a mysis shrimp in front of him, he became interested. Didn't eat it but perked up. By the third piece, he went for it! Then every time I unplugged the pump he started peeking and eating although still nervous. Now when Barticus sees me or hears me he fully comes out staring at me and doesn't even let me drop it. He sucks it out of the dropper. I still unplug the pump when I feed him.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not easy to detect, especially in the short bursts of time you're able to observe him swimming. They can maintain it for awhile and then they get tired. Don't look for the belly to swell with this type of injury. I hope I'm wrong and he's just a nervous Nellie, but we're getting into heading into a second week of not eating......

EAT!!!!!!!!!!

It's been one week since I have him. He will not leave the rock at all.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try turning off any filters/powerheads and wait until water is still. Then use a feeder/dropper and drop a few pieces of food in front of him. At first, mine glued himself under the rock for 3 days and didn't want to swim for food. When I turned everything off and dropped a mysis shrimp in front of him, he became interested. Didn't eat it but perked up. By the third piece, he went for it! Then every time I unplugged the pump he started peeking and eating although still nervous. Now when Barticus sees me or hears me he fully comes out staring at me and doesn't even let me drop it. He sucks it out of the dropper. I still unplug the pump when I feed him.

Might not be a bad idea, although the food circulates and has landed in front of him. I saw his eyes at least look at it, but didn't touch it.

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair

I FEEL that you are right on with your back of the mind thinking that it is a swim bladder issue. I feel that the op is out of luck unless he can find a drawing or better a disection of a borb and is willing to do something very unheard to most modern reefers. You are going to need to fizz the swim bladder. You will need to know exactly where the bladder is and simply poke it with a diabetic syringe. Back when fish were collected in less than ideal ways this was pretty common. If you have an old timer at your lfs he or she can likely do it in 15 seconds.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair

I FEEL that you are right on with your back of the mind thinking that it is a swim bladder issue. I feel that the op is out of luck unless he can find a drawing or better a disection of a borb and is willing to do something very unheard to most modern reefers. You are going to need to fizz the swim bladder. You will need to know exactly where the bladder is and simply poke it with a diabetic syringe. Back when fish were collected in less than ideal ways this was pretty common. If you have an old timer at your lfs he or she can likely do it in 15 seconds.
Well that's interesting. Wouldn't he not be swimming alright at the store? He was fine and so are the others that are still for sale.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair

a R2R member recently did this on a blackcap, here the link:

http://reef2reef.com/threads/venting-a-swim-bladder-black-cap-basslet.219954/

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's interesting. Wouldn't he not be swimming alright at the store? He was fine and so are the others that are still for sale.
Maybe. The diver or the wholesaler may have done it already and it may have developed a secondary infection. What type of conditions was his tank at the store? Was it just an empty tank so it had no choice but to be swimming in the open? Anthius in general are very finicky and sensitive. It's possible for an lfs to put a fish on display in an empty tank with surplus flow to keep it moving. If it was fresh out the bag who knows what it's been through.

Back