Bare bottom or not to bare bottom??

Just as the title says.... bare bottom or not??

• Yes go bare bottom you’ll love it.

• No stick with sand.

• Go with a thin layer of sand.

• Go with 4+ inches of sand.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

CUSE1315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also see pros and cons to both using sand and not using it.

Currently I have sand in my SPS dominant 60 cube and haven’t noticed any issues with doing so.

On the other hand my frag tank, 50 gallons and zoa/LPS dominated is bare bottom.

I feel currently I am less successful in keeping nutrients down in my frag tank although it’s likely a filtration issue I feel.

Just my 2 cents.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also see pros and cons to both using sand and not using it.

Currently I have sand in my SPS dominant 60 cube and haven’t noticed any issues with doing so.

On the other hand my frag tank, 50 gallons and zoa/LPS dominated is bare bottom.

I feel currently I am less successful in keeping nutrients down in my frag tank although it’s likely a filtration issue I feel.

Just my 2 cents.

Is your frag tank connected to the main system? Or does it run independently as its own system?

CUSE1315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of sand. I hate the look of dirty sand. I did a trial temporarily when I was waiting to put up my new tank and was BB on my old tank. It still got pretty dirty if you didn't keep it clean like sand. So that said I would rather work to keep sand clean than a barebottom.

I also agree I feel either way there is going to be build up on the sand. Although I notice that it is seemingly worse looking in my bare bottom Aquarium.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree I feel either way there is going to be build up on the sand. Although I notice that it is seemingly worse looking in my bare bottom Aquarium.

I love the look of sand, it looks way better imo. I am going BB because I have a large system and its just not possible or viable to clean the sand effectively.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information. :)

They might not survive, tbh they are in the sand all day unless I am feeding for the most part. I really don't know long term how they will do.

The little sand I have left I think most have congregated into those areas.

CUSE1315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your frag tank connected to the main system? Or does it run independently as its own system?

It is running independently as it’s own system.

It is a 4 foot, lowboy. Currently has an aquaclear 110 as the filtration source.

CUSE1315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Do you find you have more algae issues?

I actually have no algae issues in either of my tanks surprisingly

It just seems my Corals don’t do as well.

Not poorly either just not as well imho.

Maybe just a difference in tanks.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have no algae issues in either of my tanks surprisingly

It just seems my Corals don’t do as well.

Not poorly either just not as well imho.

Maybe just a difference in tanks.

Is the lighting the same?

Its interesting. I have heard sand and the 'good' bacteria it brings can help a system. And I have heard that it can also be the source of a large number of problems as well if/when it gets to a point where its dirty.

CUSE1315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the lighting the same?

Its interesting. I have heard sand and the 'good' bacteria it brings can help a system. And I have heard that it can also be the source of a large number of problems as well if/when it gets to a point where its dirty.

I run the same light. Radion XR30 GEN 3 on both tanks. Although I run different intensities due to the Corals being different.

When these zoas were in my cube with the sand prior to being moved they seemed to grow seemingly faster.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same light. Radion XR30 GEN 3 on both tanks. Although I run different intensities due to the Corals being different.

When these zoas were in my cube with the sand prior to being moved they seemed to grow seemingly faster.

Maybe the increases levels of P04 aided in their growth? Sometimes almost untraceable amounts of P04 and N03 are believed to result in slow coral growth.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-nitrate-phosphate-but-sps-look-great.239830/

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my BB 75 is loaded with algae I also have nassarious with no problems

steevareno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I've started 2 reef tanks bare bottom and my sps never looked good until I added live sand. I think for new tanks its beneficial but long term I'll be removing it slowly for the advantages of bare bottom.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me there’s pros and cons on both sides.

I’m a big fan of sand, but may setup my new tank BB.

Most people choose sand for its aesthetic appeal. It can also house some very beneficial critters (worms, pods, mini stars, etc) as well as pets like gobies, wrasse, shrimp, and larger starfish. It can also help with denitrification when the bed is 4” deep. Although even with just a little over 1” you’ll observe a little gas being formed.

Bare Bottom tanks allow you to direct the flow at the bottom of the tank. Or you can simple put powerheads on the bottom and blow across the tank under the rock work. You can also increase the flow intensity. Detritus is easily siphoned out. The tank runs cleaner, because there’s never really a build up over time. Encrusting corals can be grown on the bottom. Not a lot of maintenance is required after the initial 6-12 months.

I’m kinda caught in the middle. I’m not a wholesaler so getting a 1/4” more SPS growth with higher flow really doesn’t appeal to me. Just about everybody you talk to likes the look of sand and some of the most impressive reefs have sand. I’ll probably end up going BB to try it out. I can always add sand later down the road.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to personal preference on look of the tank and maintenance. Personally we love the look of sand, but most importantly the fish we enjoy having require sand. I do have to disagree with anyone that states the sand bed will only be a ticking time bomb with nutrients and here's why. A couple of months ago we moved to a new house. When we moved I decided to not change out the 2 inch sand bed. Instead I drained the water in the tank 1 inch above the sand and placed the tank in a U-Haul. What water was left sloshed around the for the 1 hour drive and shifted the sand all over. Once we arrived to the new house the inch of water was as clear as fresh water. I filled the tank back up with the water we removed earlier and fish were back in. I monitored P03 and P04 and saw no increases outside the normal discrepancies from the hobby grade test kits. Ammonia was also not affected. These results were directly related to my bi-weekly sand vacuuming. If I never did this routine maintenance we would have had a different result. Like many things in this hobby, there more than one way to succeeded. But at the end of the day we love our wrasses to much to go BB!!! :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back