High Nitrate & Phosphate but sps look great

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently upgraded my tank from a 57 to a 93 and after the upgrade had a big spike in phosphate. My sps started to stn but recovered nicely. My phosphates were .26 a week after the upgrade.
Now one month after the upgrade my phos is .12 tested with hanna and my nitrates are around 50 tested with salifert yet my sps look great have had amazing growth the past few weeks. This is really making my head spin since i know this shouldn't be happening. I have always kept my phos around .05 and nitrate around 5. I'm not really sure what to do since everything looks great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

fox flame growth first picture was taken 2/22 second picture was taken today.

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they look great, your P.M. looks awesome, I have mine in very high light and it
seems to be dole & my tank is low nutrients though.

see your tip on the bottom of the frag sticking out right at you, that's how the top half of mine looks.

OP
OP
bonomo53

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they look great, your P.M. looks awesome, I have mine in very high light and it
seems to be dole & my tank is low nutrients though.

see your tip on the bottom of the frag sticking out right at you, that's how the top half of mine looks.
Thank you.. If your talking about the first pictures its actually the cc hellboy

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious on this topic as well. Why can some good looking SPS tanks have high phosphate when most people on forums tell you they need to be at .03 and below? Are certain phosphates better than others? Maybe i'm wasting $, effort, and starving corals by running GFO to keep phosphate down unnecessarily?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious on this topic as well. Why can some good looking SPS tanks have high phosphate when most people on forums tell you they need to be at .03 and below? Are certain phosphates better than others? Maybe i'm wasting $, effort, and starving corals by running GFO to keep phosphate down unnecessarily?
This is more of a touchy subject.
IMO it's about balance and what is implemented for algae control.
A good read would be about what zooxanthellae utilizes for survival.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks to be as your tank benefited from that lol. Personally i wouldnt go crazy over it, but do a bunch of 10-20 % waterchanges to get it down a little just for the sake of the inverts(if you have any) i keep my tank about 5-15 ppm nitrate and 0.03- 0.1 p04

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently upgraded my tank from a 57 to a 93 and after the upgrade had a big spike in phosphate. My sps started to stn but recovered nicely. My phosphates were .26 a week after the upgrade.
Now one month after the upgrade my phos is .12 tested with hanna and my nitrates are around 50 tested with salifert yet my sps look great have had amazing growth the past few weeks. This is really making my head spin since i know this shouldn't be happening. I have always kept my phos around .05 and nitrate around 5. I'm not really sure what to do since everything looks great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

fox flame growth first picture was taken 2/22 second picture was taken today.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Beautiful tank and coral!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, the absence of algae in such a tan k (the biggest problem from elevated nutrients) is either because of very robust herbivores, or something else is limiting iron, such as possibly iron (which may not be optimal for other reasons).

That topic is discussed here in the context of a very nice looking reef with super high nutrients. Last update I saw from a month ago has phosphate at 1.88 ppm and nitrate at 62 ppm, and it still looks great, but there was an RTN event in the past year.

https://www.reefs.com/forum/reefs-m...g-ix-test-kits-chasing-numbers-phosphate.html

from it:

"What we do know is the corals in this tank are healthy and growing, and experimenting to find out the details might have a detrimental effect on the system. For instance, if we start adding iron to the tank and the algae blooms, all the coral might get wiped out, and Rich is not sure he wants to take that risk."

ross01.jpg

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back