Barnacle Blennies: Any long term success?

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that they are small fish and likely have a short lifespan, but I'm reading a lot of accounts of them disappearibg/dying within a few months.

Is there anyone here that has kept them for >1-2 years? If so, tell us your experience and what may have contributed to your success. Thanks!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two about 1.5 years ago. Lost one about 6 months ago, still have the other. If people have trouble keeping them I would assume they aren’t feeding small foods often enough (multiple times a day). I have a lot of planktivores and other small fish so I feed small foods several times a day.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people have trouble keeping them I would assume they aren’t feeding small foods often enough (multiple times a day). I have a lot of planktivores and other small fish so I feed small foods several times a day.

This^ plus target feeding. I've had barnacle blennies live 3 or 4 years in a tank with seahorses and i put it down to making sure they were fed several times a day and that they didn't have to compete with anything else. I see no reason why they wouldn't live as long with other species provided you made sure they get their fair share of food.

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that they are small fish and likely have a short lifespan, but I'm reading a lot of accounts of them disappearibg/dying within a few months.

Is there anyone here that has kept them for >1-2 years? If so, tell us your experience and what may have contributed to your success. Thanks!
I had one in my dwarf seahorse tank. Had to sell it after about 2 years due to moving to the dorms. Would love another one when I graduate. Key for me was target feeding, he wasn’t getting enough food in my larger reef, so I had to catch him (horrible experience) and put him in my 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Panamic barnacle blennies in my nano(IM Fusion 10 gal) where their only competition for food is a clown goby and some sexy shrimp. They have been there over a year.

I also have an Eye Brow barnacle blenny in my 72x24 main tank. I got him at the same time. He competes well for food with a tank full of wrasses. Just spot feed or make sure there is flow to blow food by his barnacle cluster.

I did lose his tank mate acquired at the same time when he jumped behind the tank the first day he was introduced.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Panamic barnacle blennies in my nano(IM Fusion 10 gal) where their only competition for food is a clown goby and some sexy shrimp. They have been there over a year.

I also have an Eye Brow barnacle blenny in my 72x24 main tank. I got him at the same time. He competes well for food with a tank full of wrasses. Just spot feed or make sure there is flow to blow food by his barnacle cluster.

I did lose his tank mate acquired at the same time when he jumped behind the tank the first day he was introduced.
How often do you feed your panamic and eyebrow blennies?

Would you recommend one of the other, and if so, why?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your panamic and eyebrow blennies?

Would you recommend one of the other, and if so, why?

I feed mine once or twice a day....about evenly split between the two schedules. They are not high activity fish....except when eating.

I really like both. The Eyebrows would probably be better in a large tank with more competition because they are larger. Both species are pretty bold.

Panamics have really neat markings/coloration and have incredible personalities. My nano sits beside my chair and it's not unusual to look over at it and see one of the Panamics staring at me upside down or on its side as if to say...hey feed me! The barnacle hole swapping is amusing and very entertaining. You really have to have at least two to fully appreciate them.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine once or twice a day....about evenly split between the two schedules. They are not high activity fish....except when eating.

I really like both. The Eyebrows would probably be better in a large tank with more competition because they are larger. Both species are pretty bold.

Panamics have really neat markings/coloration and have incredible personalities. My nano sits beside my chair and it's not unusual to look over at it and see one of the Panamics staring at me upside down or on its side as if to say...hey feed me! The barnacle hole swapping is amusing and very entertaining. You really have to have at least two to fully appreciate them.
Nice. Thanks. Im thinking I'll get 3-5 Panamics. My tank is pretty chill, nno tangs or wrasses, so hopefully it's successful.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this member isn't on often, I believe he had a barnacle blenny for some time. His name was herbie.
@Vinnybagodoughnuts
upload_2019-1-8_12-13-33.jpeg

upload_2019-1-8_12-13-52.jpeg

This was Herbie (The Hancock Blenny :)) I had him for 5+years. Didn't I give him to you Dennis??
Very easy fish to care for.Fed once/twice a day a variety of foods.:)

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a group of Panemic for a little over a year.

This is a fish that could justify a species only tank( not that it has to be on its own, just interesting enough to get it).
I agree. I've been wanting one since when I was just planning/dreaming about having a reef tank in school 5 years ago now...

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to see this post! Been wanting one for my nano for a while. Even found a barnacle for it! (They are not easy to find nowadays, used to be in every store!) I was JUST wondering a few days ago if I could have them in a horse tank.

For the folks with the green ones.... Did they come in that color or did they color up with good food? Thanks!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pandemic barnacle blennies and they came green with the red dots. I got them from Live Aquaria. They can suck down a fairly big piece of mysis like nothing! And they are adorable to watch. I have mine in a 56 gallon tank with all docile fish (blennies, gobies, dartfish and cardinal fish) and they fine. I feed pretty heavy 3Xs a day though. It's a high nutrient macro algae reef.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 panamic barnacle blennies in a 56 gallon reef with other blennies, gobies, dartfish and cardinal fish. I feed this tank heavily, usually 3 Xs a day since it has macro algaes. They suck down some pretty big pieces of mysis with no trouble. They were green with the red dots when I got them from Live Aquaria. They are so much fun and I named them Barney and Betty.

Oops, I did not realize my 1st post worked.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back