barnacle outbreak in reef

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacles typically die out in our tanks, as we do not have enough particulate foods for them to survive.

With that said, I do have some in my SPS colonies that are going on 6 months to a year old, and have not died out yet, and I do not feed any type of coral food.

I have never found them to be very long lived.

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacles typically die out in our tanks, as we do not have enough particulate foods for them to survive.

With that said, I do have some in my SPS colonies that are going on 6 months to a year old, and have not died out yet, and I do not feed any type of coral food.

I have never found them to be very long lived.
thanks for the feedback. maybe il start removing manually, thers a hundred babies…

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any that lived very long. Are you saying they spawned in your tank? What do you have that would lead to this?

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any that lived very long. Are you saying they spawned in your tank? What do you have that would lead to this?
glad to hear- i have a lot of lps and keep it around 10-15 no3 bit also feed phyto ect so il cut back on phyto, but yea got some sketchy l.r…with a dirty hitchhiker -ugg ya try to save a buck

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like pics.

Barnacles are harmless. They don't have any way to hurt anything around them, they're just little filter-feeding sessile crustaceans. Weird, if you think about them for half a second.
A7110230-79AE-4CC6-AFEF-656916FA1F93.jpeg
here’s a few on the glass

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A7110230-79AE-4CC6-AFEF-656916FA1F93.jpeg
here’s a few on the glass

Those are limpets my guy - not barnacles. Great hitchhikers to get... I'm not lying, I'm getting ready to pay for them from reefcleaners and was literally looking at them today on the website. Have had these in most of my tanks and they will help control your algae. They will also breed. How fortuitous!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that those are limpets, and it looks like you'll be seeing them for awhile as they'll help you control that algae in your tank. Good CUC, and your local reefers may be willing to take some off your hands if you have more than you would like.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was kinda wondering if you had limpets. For future reference, barnacles are stationary, and have a little grabbing hand apiece that sticks out of the point of the shell to grab for food.

Those look like probably the mini limpets that turn up in tanks now and then. No clue what species they are, but they seem harmless. I have some really liking the patch of algae where a sunbeam falls on the corner of my tank.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its already been identified and confirmed to be a limpet. Just a little advice, if you wish to remove some to say either transplant on a frag, liverock or into a new tank, you need something like a credit card or hard thin plastic to quickly scrap them off. The key is “quickly” because they will slam down tightly onto the glass if they feel any disturbance or touch which will be nearly impossible to remove them. I generally would assign one limpet to my frags to control algae while at the same time encourage those nice hard calcareous algae to grow on the plug.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back