Base rock

Temp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased some base rock for my 90 gallon tank. Added live sand and have powerhead and water in it. Was wondering how long I should wait to hook up to same sump as the reef I have. I was told that it’s base rock and won’t cause a cycle.

IMG_8310.JPG

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "cause a cycle"? The "cycle" we always talk about is the establishment of the nitrogen cycle in our aquariums. Adding rock won't cause the cycle to restart if it is already going.

I would add some quick start to the 90 gallon and go ahead and hook it up to the sump of your established reef. Just be aware that anything you do to the 90 will affect the other tank, but the quick-start solution shouldn't have any adverse affects at all but will allow colonizing nitrogen-fixating bacteria to take up residence on the new rock quicker so your entire system (both tanks) is effectively cycled.

OP
OP
Temp

Temp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there is cycle going. I bought a 90 and added this “base rock”. People state that base rock isn’t really base rock and causes cycles. I wanted to add it to a current system I have that is a running reef and lion fish tank going. Just wanted to know if it would cause a mini cycle and kill my fish and corals I have.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 54 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.5%
Back