Basement Floor Drain

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement floor drain that drains to daylight in the woods by my house. I want to run my continuous automatic water change wast water from my tank as well as my RO/DI waste water into the floor drain. I live in NH and I'm wondering if the water continuously exiting the drain will freeze in the winter making this plan impossible. I don't want to put my waste saltwater into my septic.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a basement floor drain that drains to daylight in the woods by my house. I want to run my continuous automatic water change wast water from my tank as well as my RO/DI waste water into the floor drain. I live in NH and I'm wondering if the water continuously exiting the drain will freeze in the winter making this plan impossible. I don't want to put my waste saltwater into my septic.
Hard to say without knowing the specifics (how cold does it get, how big is the pipe, how steep is the drain) - but I can see 2 scenarios - 1) the salt in the water will help prevent freezing - and it won't be a problem 2) the slow flow of water will act like water dripping off a roof and forming an icicle type thing which will gradually increase in size. We have an outside drain that drains down a hill and I dump occasionally during the winter - some water change water - which I think helps keep it open - but that is a large volume of water at one time. one would hope that the design of a floor Drain would be not to freeze in the winter?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt content of the water and the higher TDS of the RO brine might keep the drain from eventually becoming blocked.

I would imagine a steady flow of the water change water would be enough to keep the drain open with the salt content. If you don't run into issues currently when using the drain I wouldn't think adding salt water to the mix would hurt.

But I don't live in NH or have a floor drain that exits outside.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally freeze, mostly where it puddles at the end of the plumbing like you said unless it drains into a hole or off a cliff

Getting the plumbing below your freeze line would work

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And yea the SW would probably kill off all the bacteria in your septic then you will have problems there.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PPS - there are at least a couple threads on here - and elsewhere - that suggest saltwater (especially in those concentrations) will be no issue for a septic system - when you consider how much other water is going to go through the system. Then there is rain, etc. I might talk to a septic contractor in your area. As someone else said in another thread - water softener drainage goes into a septic system with no problem

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally freeze, mostly where it puddles at the end of the plumbing like you said unless it drains into a hole or off a cliff

Getting the plumbing below your freeze line would work
What if I collect the waste water in a holding tank like 20 or 30 gallons and when full pump it all through the drain in one go instead of having it constantly going into the drain at a low flow rate?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What if I collect the waste water in a holding tank like 20 or 30 gallons and when full pump it all through the drain in one go instead of having it constantly going into the drain at a low flow rate?
I don't know if you missed my post. There is probably no reason not to drain it into a sink, etc.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you missed my post. There is probably no reason not to drain it into a sink, etc.
Thanks. I just don't feel comfortable putting saltwater into my septic system and want to avoid it if I can. I have a floor drain which would be an ideal solution. I just need to solve the freezing in winter problem.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I just don't feel comfortable putting saltwater into my septic system and want to avoid it if I can. I have a floor drain which would be an ideal solution. I just need to solve the freezing in winter problem.
Well - another solution to prevent freezing is one of those cables that keep the pipe warm making sure that it stays warm. But - just a recommendation from someone who has an outside drain, since you have a relatively uncommon situation - and no one here can see your layout, etc. I would suggest that you talk to someone in your area - because - if the drain freezes, it can be a very costly fix.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well - another solution to prevent freezing is one of those cables that keep the pipe warm making sure that it stays warm. But - just a recommendation from someone who has an outside drain, since you have a relatively uncommon situation - and no one here can see your layout, etc. I would suggest that you talk to someone in your area - because - if the drain freezes, it can be a very costly fix.
And PS - I meant - you need to make sure the cable stays warm - and I was recommending talking to a professional in your area that specializes in those drains. They may be able to totally ease your fears.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have a 4 inch pipe. There is a chance that at least some water will freeze in the pipe and build up over the winter to block the pipe. Saltwater will freeze. You can look it up and compare it to your average nightly lows in the winter. It be better to collect the water and dump larger volumes. If you can, measure the amount of hold up in the pipe now to see how well the pipe is pitched. Pour a gallon of water down the drain and measure the amount that comes out. Also how ling does it take. A slow drain will ensure freezing.

To prevent ice dams on roofs and gutters, roof cables are installed. These are low power heaters that keep melting snow from refreezing at night. They are not expensive. You could run one of these cables down the drain pipe to the woods. If you have a fairly straight run of pipe this could be easy.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I might have just type the same advice as you…great minds, etc.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And PS - I meant - you need to make sure the cable stays warm - and I was recommending talking to a professional in your area that specializes in those drains. They may be able to totally ease your fears.
Yes, you're definitely right I need to talk to a professional. I'm having second thoughts now that the pipe I thought was my basement floor drain exit is actually my floor drain exit. I put a garden hose down the drain and turned it on full blast for 10 minutes. Although water never came back up the drain I didn't notice ANY considerable increase in the water coming out of the exit pipe. Thanks for the advice!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, you're definitely right I need to talk to a professional. I'm having second thoughts now that the pipe I thought was my basement floor drain exit is actually my floor drain exit. I put a garden hose down the drain and turned it on full blast for 10 minutes. Although water never came back up the drain I didn't notice ANY considerable increase in the water coming out of the exit pipe. Thanks for the advice!
Your 'exit pipe' may be from drain tile in your yard?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a page out of what I do for a living and what we use to prevent drains from freezing in walk in freezers, you may need to install some heat tape to the drain with a controller to turn on and off based on Ambient temp.

The truth is, you really don't need a controller as it draws so little amperage. You would just need to plug it in when the temps start to get below freezing.

Last edited:

BeachWater2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Minnesota the salt slush on the road freezes if it gets cold enough. I don't remember how cold, but it often gets 10-20 below freezing. Sometimes it gets down to below 5o.

I just realized that if you are on rock rubble at the bottom of a hill the air traveling down to you underground will be colder than the ambient temperature (at least in the summer). Sometimes this effect is enough to freeze water, or keep it from melting.

I'm wondering about the effects on the surroundings. You might end up killing your lawn and trees. It would probably attract deer and other less desireable animals to have around. I would think that a little bit over a longer period would be better than all at once because the ground water would dilute it. I would also think about who is downstream from you.

You might ask some plumbers and sewage guys in the area if they have a solution to the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 'exit pipe' may be from drain tile in your yard?
Yes it could be or maybe the floor drain is a component of a larger system of foundation drains that all drain to the same exit. I have never used the floor drain in my basement since it has never flooded. Actually I keep the opening sealed with painters tape just to keep any bugs from getting in through it. Probably not helpful but this is what the drain looks like and the exit I thought was the exit for the floor drain. I did notice that a trickle of water was coming out of the exit pipe even before I put the hose down it. The trickle basically stayed the same before during and after I turned the hose on. The exit is in just about the exact spot I would expect it to be if it was connected to the floor drain. Same side of the house and just about the right elevation. Could be a coincidence though.

20210906_132747.jpg

20210906_131942.jpg

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Minnesota the salt slush on the road freezes if it gets cold enough. I don't remember how cold, but it often gets 10-20 below freezing. Sometimes it gets down to below 5o.

I just realized that if you are on rock rubble at the bottom of a hill the air traveling down to you underground will be colder than the ambient temperature (at least in the summer). Sometimes this effect is enough to freeze water.

I'm wondering about the effects on the surroundings. You might end up killing your lawn and trees. It would probably attract deer and other less desireable animals to have around. I would think that a little bit over a longer period would be better than all at once because the ground water would dilute it. I would also think about who is downstream from you.

You might ask some plumbers and sewage guys in the area if they have a solution to the problem.
I can't imagine that a gallon of saltwater a day or 30 gallons at once in a month would impact the trees or downstream neighbors anymore so than the salt that's put on the roads in winter does. But I could be wrong. I plan to have a plumber take a look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back