Basement Sump design - planning stages of new tank

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm in the very early planning stages of my new reef tank - I plan on upgrading from my 75g basement tank to a display tank in our living room with a basement sump to keep the highlight of the room the display and allow for an in line frag tank in the basement.

Threw together a sketch today with a rough idea of what I'm looking to do, rounding all the distances up as to give myself wiggle room when deciding on a pump. I've run some calculators online and can't believe the head pressure numbers I'm getting (50+ ft loss) so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to calculate. I was originally intending on running two Vectra L2s but may need to go considerably bigger if the head pressure loss is in fact that high. Take a look at my sketch and let me know if I'm missing something.

Probably going with 3/4 inch piping for the return lines but I have 1inch listed on the diagram below so don't mind that..

Basement Tank.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm in the very early planning stages of my new reef tank - I plan on upgrading from my 75g basement tank to a display tank in our living room with a basement sump to keep the highlight of the room the display and allow for an in line frag tank in the basement.

Threw together a sketch today with a rough idea of what I'm looking to do, rounding all the distances up as to give myself wiggle room when deciding on a pump. I've run some calculators online and can't believe the head pressure numbers I'm getting (50+ ft loss) so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to calculate. I was originally intending on running two Vectra L2s but may need to go considerably bigger if the head pressure loss is in fact that high. Take a look at my sketch and let me know if I'm missing something.

Probably going with 3/4 inch piping for the return lines but I have 1inch listed on the diagram below so don't mind that..

Basement Tank.png
I have not used the calculator for this in a long time, but 50+ ft feels excessive relative to the runs you listed.

There is a big pressure difference between vertical feet and horizontal feet, yet I am not picking up a distinction in your description. Did you break those numbers up for the calculator?

50+ft is really going to narrow down your options. Still some good ones but they can get pretty pricey.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the calculator for this in a long time, but 50+ ft feels excessive relative to the runs you listed.

There is a big pressure difference between vertical feet and horizontal feet, yet I am not picking up a distinction in your description. Did you break those numbers up for the calculator?

50+ft is really going to narrow down your options. Still some good ones but they can get pretty pricey.

So I just measured it a bit more accurately and it's 7 feet horizontally and 8 feet vertically. I re-ran the numbers and I'm thinking that head pressure would be around 20 - 24 feet. Thinking that the manta ray would be my best bet with a gate to control flow.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my friends, he had an 8 foot rise, 15 foot vertical, and about 6 elbows. I personally didn't figure out the head, but he ended up with a reeflo barracuda. Works great with just a small throttle down.

Boonsiew830

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea 625XXL and running the sump in the basement as well. I definitely wanted a DC pump so decided to run an Abyzz A200. My vertical is 6’ and horizontal 8’…very similar to yours. Been running for over 1.5yrs.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the MRC 6100 pumps. AC Very Quiet 5 year warranty very low power consumption for the amount of water they push. I run 2 of the 6100's on my Garage sump for my 850 gallon system.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the MRC 6100 pumps. AC Very Quiet 5 year warranty very low power consumption for the amount of water they push. I run 2 of the 6100's on my Garage sump for my 850 gallon system.
I won one of those huge MRC pumps. While my tank is not big enough to actually use it, I do have it on my mixing station.

I can attest to how quiet they are.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea 625XXL and running the sump in the basement as well. I definitely wanted a DC pump so decided to run an Abyzz A200. My vertical is 6’ and horizontal 8’…very similar to yours. Been running for over 1.5yrs.

I'd prefer a DC pump but candidly the cost of those things is astronomical - I'd rather start AC and eventually upgrade to something like the Abyzz. The $1,000 that I save would go towards lighting since I plan on running the new kessils.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both a danner mag drive 18 and 9.5 for a similar application. If you need quiet, then go with something else. But these are very reliable.

Boonsiew830

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer a DC pump but candidly the cost of those things is astronomical - I'd rather start AC and eventually upgrade to something like the Abyzz. The $1,000 that I save would go towards lighting since I plan on running the new kessils.
Yes, DC pumps are $$$. I looked at AC pumps after researching the prices for DC but the other factor that it draws less watts and obviously I can dial it down where AC you can’t.
Good luck with your build. I’m sure it’ll look great whatever you purchase.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Hammerhead in my basement sump that is supplying flow to my frag section and acting as a return for 2 display tanks on the first level. It is more than enough and I have gate valves on both returns to control the amount of flow. It does have a continuous hum but that's not an issue for me being in an unfinished basement.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people have glossed over one little detail that is more than likely effecting your head height calculations drastically.... your 3/4" Return line. This tiny pipe size will probably double your total head height calculation. Bare minimum would be an inch and really you should be looking at 1.5" pipe and maybe splitting to 2 1" returns at the display. Also what kind of turnover are you looking to get with this setup?

Also I would probably switch up how you plumb the frag tank in if I was you, but that's a different topic.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Idea, Choose a quality AC pump, as this is the back bone of your livestock health and success.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people have glossed over one little detail that is more than likely effecting your head height calculations drastically.... your 3/4" Return line. This tiny pipe size will probably double your total head height calculation. Bare minimum would be an inch and really you should be looking at 1.5" pipe and maybe splitting to 2 1" returns at the display. Also what kind of turnover are you looking to get with this setup?

Also I would probably switch up how you plumb the frag tank in if I was you, but that's a different topic.
Couldn't agree more here, I did not notice OP was using 3/4 pipe. That is a MUST change. Go to 1 1/2" pipe, I wouldn't even try the double 1", go right to 1 1/2" pipe.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everyone above, plus I would probably have both the frag tank and dt drain into the sump, then split off a section from the return to dt for the frag tank. This way you dont have a lot of crud from the dt building up in the frag tank, though you could do it this way and just blow it all out after a while by just lifting up the frag racks (im guessing you are going frag racks and not rocks for the frag tank?)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iwaki japan, reeflo hammerhead, etc pressure rated pump definitely the way to go

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more here, I did not notice OP was using 3/4 pipe. That is a MUST change. Go to 1 1/2" pipe, I wouldn't even try the double 1", go right to 1 1/2" pipe.

I was saying take 1.5" pipe right to the tank then switch to dual 1" returns there. Dual 1" from the sump probably wouldn't help a whole lot lol. I need to give up my MRC6100, the pump is amazing but rediculously overpowered for even my basement sump setup. I've had to dial it back so much. I think the back pressure is causing a TON of vibration. And you can feel/hear it in my floors. I wish I could toss my sump in the garage (And so does my wife) but our cold months do not help there lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back