Basement sump help

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 81g (3'x2') tank with a trigger triton 20 sump https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triton20-v2-sump-trigger-systems.html) and a cor 15 return pump. I'm playing with the idea of moving the sump down to the basement under the tank. I would like to have a larger sump or possibly even something like a Rubbermaid stock tank, but would need to have it divided in sections for a refugium and skimmer area and maybe a small frag area. I'm also currently use a 4in klir filter roller with bracket and would like to continue using that as well. Looking for any recommendations on a large sump and return pump. I really like my cor 15 but not sure if it has enough to get it up that far (about 12-13ft from the basement to the tank.) Let me know what you guys think!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d buy a used or cheap aquarium of whatever size you want, and then turn that into a sump. You can get glass cut for baffles relatively inexpensively from a local glass place to make baffles.

The mag12 pump is a good choice to consider:

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ill consider that! Also is it ok to use soft tubing vs pvc in the long of a run? And I think I'm looking for a return with a little more control via apex if there is an option for that.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ill consider that! Also is it ok to use soft tubing vs pvc in the long of a run? And I think I'm looking for a return with a little more control via apex if there is an option for that.
DC pumps from the basement will get very expensive. What kind of control are you looking for ? If it were me, I'd look at AC pumps for that type of head pressure and depends on pump control, if you just need on off control for feeding AC is the way to go. If your looking for variable speed DC get ready to dip into the kids inheritance.
These AC pumps are amazing I run 2 6100's in tandem on my set up.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT use soft tubing on those long runs and head pressure. Just use Heavy Duty silicone short amount about 1 ft to get rid of any pump vibration, see photo

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 82

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard PVC for that distance only. AC mag drive for return pump that is pressure rated, like a Iwaki. You need a pressure rated pump or otherwise a non rated pump will not have the head pressure to pump up that far and it may fail very early.

Sump, I did a 6' 125 gallon as my sump.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 81g (3'x2') tank with a trigger triton 20 sump https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triton20-v2-sump-trigger-systems.html) and a cor 15 return pump. I'm playing with the idea of moving the sump down to the basement under the tank. I would like to have a larger sump or possibly even something like a Rubbermaid stock tank, but would need to have it divided in sections for a refugium and skimmer area and maybe a small frag area. I'm also currently use a 4in klir filter roller with bracket and would like to continue using that as well. Looking for any recommendations on a large sump and return pump. I really like my cor 15 but not sure if it has enough to get it up that far (about 12-13ft from the basement to the tank.) Let me know what you guys think!
I needed an 20000 Lph Jebao pump to easily get up that high. The pump was rated 31 feet head height. It also runs a media chamber and UV. On the absolute lowest end, my 10000 LPH, Jebao just worked, straight up, no extras...
Great idea, Iam so happy I moved the sump to the basement.
C8A44995-54CB-477A-94E7-C1B181D7B15F.jpeg

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard PVC for that distance only. AC mag drive for return pump that is pressure rated, like a Iwaki. You need a pressure rated pump or otherwise a non rated pump will not have the head pressure to pump up that far and it may fail very early.

Sump, I did a 6' 125 gallon as my sump.

My issue is the bulk heads out my tank are for soft tubbing but maybe I could for soft to pvc or something

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small amount of this ( Link below choose correct ID for your fitting ) will get you where you need to be and will take out all pump vibration. cut a piece as long as both of the non slip nipple, sump side and other side, push the 2 fittings into the silicone tubing so it leaves almost no gap between the 2. Impossible to suck closed or narrow and starve pump for water. Then convert to PVC for the rest of the plumbing.

Bootleg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a Mag2400 but switched to a Sicce Syncra ADV Advanced 10.0 Aquarium Pump 2700 GPH. With the 12-feet of head pressure or so, it runs around 600 GPH, which I have choked down to about 450 GPH so I burn through less filter roll. It is always a good idea to have a spare pump, so if your current pump is undersized but will generate some flow then I would keep it as a backup.

Attachments

• 20200128_144803.jpg
    20200128_144803.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a Mag2400 but switched to a Sicce Syncra ADV Advanced 10.0 Aquarium Pump 2700 GPH. With the 12-feet of head pressure or so, it runs around 600 GPH, which I have choked down to about 450 GPH so I burn through less filter roll. It is always a good idea to have a spare pump, so if your current pump is undersized but will generate some flow then I would keep it as a backup.
thanks for the help! I ended up with https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/roller-mat-sump-30-trigger.html sump/roller mat combo I got for a super deal from my lfs. I also decided on a cor20, after making the sump stand and measuring it looks like ill be pushing 10ft max so I think I should be good to go! We'll see when I get it all plumbed. Thanks everyone for the input.

Back