Bashsea Biofilter

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use the Biofilter? I purchased it back in the fall and was very excited about it. Had it running since setting up and noticed about a month ago that the pump had stopped working. It took me a while to break down and get a new pump, but all the while I noticed no difference in my tank's stability.

Meanwhile, this thing is huge. It takes up a lot of real estate whether placed in the sump or beside it in the cabinet.

Does anyone use a biofilter and can attest to it improving their system?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its useful outside of a QT context. Rocks and and already handle ammonia/nitrate. I would keep it and set it up on a QT imo. Alternatively, you can make the flow very slow and pack it with media that allows anaerobes to grow, which can allow denitrification.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its useful outside of a QT context. Rocks and and already handle ammonia/nitrate. I would keep it and set it up on a QT imo. Alternatively, you can make the flow very slow and pack it with media that allows anaerobes to grow, which can allow denitrification.
I agree. I dont see much use in a reef tank for something of this nature. I am sure it has uses in certain situations like maybe in something like a QT where live rock is nonexistent or some "reef" that has very minimal lr or fish only. I can think of situations that it'd work or be helpful but not in a standard scenario.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back