basic plumbing question (ball valves/gate valves, unions)

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

i'm planning a build (looks like this might take years at this rate...)

i've decided to go with 1" plumbing. looking at various threads and youtube, i'm going to go ahead with the bean animal overflow system (haven't yet decided on overflow box vs in-tank overflow, but more on that later.

i know this is probably a vague query, but how many ball valves should i have as a minimal? how many unions would you recommend (again a minimal)?

as per my limited understanding:
1) 1 gate valve for the stand pipe
2) 1 ball valve for the return pipe
3) 3 unions below the display tank for all 3 drains (stand, durso and emergency)
4) 1 check valve for the return pipe
4) with the 1" pvc - should i therefore have the 1" versions of all the the above for an exact fit?

thank you
sk

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Correct
2) I've found ball valves are very hard to adjust, especially after any time has passed. They are really only good for on/off situations IMO. Go with a second gate valve for the return. It worked great on my last setup as it let me make small adjustments to get the flow I wanted through the other areas of the system.
3) Sounds good.
4) No, just no. NEVER use a check valve if you can avoid it. Things GROW in our systems, be they sponges or tube worms, something is going to grow inside the check valve and prevent it from working. Instead, design your system to handle all the water that drains from the display.
4a) Yes, you want to go 1" on everything. Changing sizes doesn't gain you anything.

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

i've decided to go with 1" plumbing. looking at various threads and youtube, i'm going to go ahead with the bean animal overflow system (haven't yet decided on overflow box vs in-tank overflow, but more on that later.

i know this is probably a vague query, but how many ball valves should i have as a minimal? how many unions would you recommend (again a minimal)?

3) 3 unions below the display tank for all 3 drains (stand, durso and emergency)
4) with the 1" pvc - should i therefore have the 1" versions of all the the above for an exact fit?

thank you
sk
Right 1inch pipe for everything as many unions as possible they help when you make a mistake you won't have to buy new pipe 1) gate valve 3)ball valve. And plan as much as possible it will save you money in the end best to make changes on paper instead of spending the money then making a change

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

thank you
sk
Also use cepex ball valves and gate valves Brs sell's them you get years of use out of them don't buy home depot hardware stores stuff valves

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Slight problem is that I live in Australia and brs doesn't ship here. I found these though.... Hopefully they will suffice.

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Slight problem is that I live in Australia and brs doesn't ship here. I found these though.... Hopefully they will suffice.

Ok you should still be able to buy Cepex valve do a online search they sell all over the world

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I'd use all high quality union ball valves. They're cheaper and turn like butter. I dont even see the need for a check valve if your returns are at the waterline. You dont need a valve on your emergency. I use regular american union ball valves.

If I was designing an industrial piping system or a huge aquarium plumbing then yeah. The average home aquarium throw some onion balls on there call it a day.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back