Batman Apathy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I don’t know if there’s a genuinely polite way to do this. However I'll try my best, and I am in no way trying to pick on any one specific vendor at all here. In fact, I have been waiting to post this till we had a week without one, so it didn't look like I was aiming at any one in particular, which I promise I am not. But it just hasn't happend. Someone has to be the one to say it, and I can't be the only one here thinking this so here goes.

Is it me, or are live sales even more frequent than new superhero movies. Honestly seems like there’s couple a week here. At least one a week. As someone who has never really got on board the live sale train, as a customer or vendor, really I’m just curious, do you guys still get pretty excited for these things happening so regularly these days, or is whatever it is that makes live sales so "special" wearing off at all?

Not looking to cause a stir here, just kind of curious more as a user of this forum than a vendor.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I never saw the draw. The idea of sitting at my keyboard furiously pounding the F5 key in hopes to see something I like and then miraculously fire off some sort of method to communicate that you want it, only to be disappointed cause some guy has a hot key Macro programmed blah blah blah sniper this yada yada yada....

Meh...I’ll pass.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!
And it causes as least one vendor to rename the same coral over and over and over and over......and over....and over.

It’s like Black Friday/Holiday sales where prices are marked up then put on sale. Not all of them mind you! Just saying!

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking the same thing for the last few months, soooo many live sales week after week but I still see people amped as if they were once every couple months, it's a win for the consumers and I suppose it keeps things (stock) moving for the vendor, but they're just so common now that what happens when everyones tanks or wallets say "no mas". Anyhow, I guess we'll see what comes next, same day drone deliveries?!

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, considering that most "list" prices on corals are out of control, I think any break in price helps. And the fact that it draws attention for a long time probably helps the vendor. The live sale is the new way to vlog/insta/tweet coral namedness.

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't participate in livesales. Imo from the ones I've seen it's just a marketing technique to bring traffic to the site. I'm not saying all vendors do this, but I've noticed at least two engage in some shady selling tactics. Here's what I mean. I look at a Coral on their website, it's listed regular price $200. When the livesale comes around, the "regular price" is listed at $300 and livesale price is $200. I avoid vendors that I see doing this

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never participated in them. It’s like fighting the Black Friday crowd at Walmart honestly. The threads are ruinously bogged down and pages get up to the hundred count in minutes. I can’t even keep up. Plus I’m a normal person who works and has young kids. I can’t stay plastered to the thread all day for that. To each their own. I think they’ll continue to get people to show up in big numbers. But I’m one of the people that finds them annoying. I honestly don’t even check anymore. There seems to literally always be one running.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally enjoy a good live sale. While they have certainly gotten more and more popular, that doesn't mean I participate in all of them. I only participate in vendors I choose to deal with and not for the sake of a "live sale".

I imagine from a vendor prospective, they are able to clear out a ton of excess inventory without having to lower lists prices. It's also a fun way to bring in new customers as they tend to participate due to the lower prices.

People also tend to enjoy some of the thrill and hope they can snag a sweet few pieces that are offered. Particularly on signature pieces they may not be able to afford otherwise.

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like to impulse buy coral and I think live sales would make me want to. The prices are nice but I hate the idea of competing against someone else for a coral that I might not even buy if it was just on a website.
My current build won’t have any live sale corals in it unless Adam starts doing live sales.
battlecorals all the way

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did one a while ago and bought a bunch. Afterwards, I noticed the post sale was pretty much the same thing. Like same coral, different frag, same price, and that turned me off a little. Like what was I refreshing the page for?

Anyway, I appreciated what you and some others do. Just post a pack, a price, work with me a little if there is something I already have. Battle boxes are great too when populating the tank. I definitely stopped checking the live sales quite a while ago.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not participated in a live sale, but I’ve lurked around in several out of curiosity. It’s actually very cool to lurk in the background to see some of he action.

However, I would never participate in a live sale. With active kids, I don’t have the time to sit in front of the computer hitting refresh all day. Even if I did, I still wouldn’t participate because it seems that people are so fast that it would be impossible to actually buy something. I can’t imagine waiting a couple hours, hitting refresh, seeing something I actually want at some point, and then not being able to buy it. Argh!!!

I’d rather pay full price than to waste a day on one of these live sales. Plus, most of these vendors offer sales on their website periodically that come close to some of the live sale discounts, so I just wait for those.

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I can get quality sticks, without pests, from a vendor who can take images that accurately reflect what a coral looks like in real life, I see no reason to partake in live sales. The Battlebox is hands down the best money spent on sps in the industry when you consider all factors involved.

Live sales are just a gimmick.

With that said I see the point from a vendors pov though. It drives sales. People like gimmicks. People generally want to be sold on something. Unfortunately for those people though, they aren’t getting the best bang for the buck.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live sales = Pass for me too
Little kids probably love it though lol

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I stopped doing live sales. I feel they're happening on every holiday ( a random Wednesday weekday being included as one of them :D:D) I think it was pretty fun the first time around but now I barely even see a huge sale other than a discounted shipping rate. I also am not in the mood to stay up staring at my screen eyes wide open hoping I clicked fast to get the piece.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don’t know if there’s a genuinely polite way to do this. However I'll try my best, and I am in no way trying to pick on any one specific vendor at all here. In fact, I have been waiting to post this till we had a week without one, so it didn't look like I was aiming at any one in particular, which I promise I am not. But it just hasn't happend. Someone has to be the one to say it, and I can't be the only one here thinking this so here goes.

Is it me, or are live sales even more frequent than new superhero movies. Honestly seems like there’s couple a week here. At least one a week. As someone who has never really got on board the live sale train, as a customer or vendor, really I’m just curious, do you guys still get pretty excited for these things happening so regularly these days, or is whatever it is that makes live sales so "special" wearing off at all?

Not looking to cause a stir here, just kind of curious more as a user of this forum than a vendor.

I thought I was the only one that thought this. The live sales are crazy. and I was wondering who are all the people buy the same corals over and over again. Are most of the corals that are bought killed regularly?

I was thinking this: Live sales are like buses. Missed one? Wait a little while, another one will come along.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are live sales WYSIWYG? I feel like it would be fun for a good vendor to do a live sale like thread but instead of one WYSIWYG the vendor could have a number of each frag available so that people can enjoy the sale price and festive vibe instead of feeling like they're competing with others for such a limited supply.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I look at some of the prices and just laugh sometimes because people are getting ripped off . Live sales used to be a place to get some deals now its just a promotion to buy full price corals . I've actually noticed some places the acro prices are just getting absurd . Whatever happened to a $40 or $50 frag , like it doesn't exist anymore . $100 pink lemonade frag ..uhh what

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back