Batman Apathy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. I got very disappointed when I lost bids several times. But they are here for a reason. Price, selection, new release, after sale, and more.

Shawn Dahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love live sales. It's a fun way to interact with other hobbyists and just the challenge aspect of trying to obtain that certain coral you've been eyeing while 500 other people are also trying to do the same thing for that exact same frag is fun.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love live sales. It's a fun way to interact with other hobbyists and just the challenge aspect of trying to obtain that certain coral you've been eyeing while 500 other people are also trying to do the same thing for that exact same frag is fun.

I totally hear you on this. There’s often lots of good back and forth discussion and banter the days and sometimes weekend leading up to the actual sale.

It’s all good fun I’m sure.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first few were fun for me but I'm kinda over it. It's a huge time sink and super chaotic... And can bring out end the worst in people.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've participated in two live sales. While it was fun, there were a few impulse buys. Some I regret and others, I am happy with. I was disappointed with the size of the frags When I recieved them, and when I mentioned something about it, I was publicly reprimanded. Lol WYSIWYG... Sure, but when 500 people are trying to buy the same frag, it's hard to evaluate the size of frag compared to the egg crate in the back ground.

I'd rather stick with a battle box and personal interaction that comes with it. I've always been extremely happy. I think I will stay away from live sales from here on out.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have participated in one live sale recently and it was...as expected. Chaotic and ends up being stressful if you let it. Which is why I tend to steer clear.

They're just another marketing tool for these vendors to make money on their product. Everyone has some marketing tools in the toolbox.

And, if we're honest @Battlecorals marketing tool is the Battlebox. I would venture to guess selling battleboxes makes up a good part of his overall sales.

And if we want to talk about prices of corals...individual prices on corals on Adam's site vs what he'll put in a battlebox always indicate to me that those individual coral prices are marked up quite a bit. If he can put a frag priced individually at $300 in a $300 battlebox along with 3-4 other frags...there's a discrepency there. It's not right or wrong, it's marketing and how you run a business. He obviously isn't losing money on his battleboxes or he wouldn't do them.

Gosh this has come out like an attack which it's not meant to. Just comparing those vendors who do live sales as their marketing tool vs @Battlecorals and the marketing tool I see him using.

I've bought plenty of battleboxes and probably still will. I prefer the low pressure route. :)

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Sale got reefers like...

C7C74BD4-8B25-443D-8C2B-195CD349E9CC.gif

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat to browse after the sale is done to see what was posted but I don't have the time or desire to sit around all day and wait for corals to come up for sale. I do like that vendors do stuff like this, keeps the hobby interesting and involved.

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally hear you on this. There’s often lots of good back and forth discussion and banter the days and sometimes weekend leading up to the actual sale.

It’s all good fun I’m sure.

LOL I guess its all perspective cause when I read that my first thought was "man that sounds miserable!".

I would much rather just buy quality corals for a reasonable price. The "challenge" of a live sale just seems completely idiotic on so many levels. But then again so is gambling yet millions of people flock to places to give their money away daily so I can see why a vendor would be eager to provide that atmosphere as often as possible with live sales as frequently as possible.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I only opened this thread because I thought Batman Apathy was one of your crazy new acro names. :cool:

I was just pondering how one purchases the new BC Batman Apathy. I think you have to be on a waiting list for an arbitrary time period, paid in advance. It also costs more and is much larger than normal, and can only be ordered via a paper form sent via U.S. Mail. You have to send a check or money order, and the last person's to arrive is the first on the list? Or are assigned a random place on the list? Adam should iron out the details. ;)

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I never saw the draw. The idea of sitting at my keyboard furiously pounding the F5 key in hopes to see something I like and then miraculously fire off some sort of method to communicate that you want it, only to be disappointed cause some guy has a hot key Macro programmed blah blah blah sniper this yada yada yada....

Meh...I’ll pass.

100% this. Back in college with low income and lots more time, sure I can stay up and grab a great deal. Now I just don't have the spare time but also more expendable income.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a joke! Absolutley ridiculous. Some kind of millennial deal or something. I'd rather work and extra hour and pay retail than sit in anxiety all day Saturday and Sunday to get 1 or 2 pieces. That you'll lose if you go to restroom. Its seems cheap. Like going out of business furniture store. Seems like the news works. A little ruffles in economy everyone starts selling off tanks and moving. Vendors aren't selling as much so they have going out of business sales that keep them afloat. Survival I guess for when they stop paying 900 for a frag, have a flash sale. That way they buy shipping before they shop. Im not sure on this, but I think if you don't make a purchase you don't get shipping money back. So now they are already anxious to buy anything. And they buy all the stuff you'd normally pass in person. But now its photo shipped all shiny, glowing, and now only 5.00 instead of 60. It's a real turn off. Makes me not want to buy from these vendors.
And besides all that. I like buying in bulk anyways. Spend 4-5k with any vendor and most will give better price than those flash sales.

Stay classy Adam!

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have participated in one live sale recently and it was...as expected. Chaotic and ends up being stressful if you let it. Which is why I tend to steer clear.

They're just another marketing tool for these vendors to make money on their product. Everyone has some marketing tools in the toolbox.

And, if we're honest @Battlecorals marketing tool is the Battlebox. I would venture to guess selling battleboxes makes up a good part of his overall sales.

And if we want to talk about prices of corals...individual prices on corals on Adam's site vs what he'll put in a battlebox always indicate to me that those individual coral prices are marked up quite a bit. If he can put a frag priced individually at $300 in a $300 battlebox along with 3-4 other frags...there's a discrepency there. It's not right or wrong, it's marketing and how you run a business. He obviously isn't losing money on his battleboxes or he wouldn't do them.

Gosh this has come out like an attack which it's not meant to. Just comparing those vendors who do live sales as their marketing tool vs @Battlecorals and the marketing tool I see him using.

I've bought plenty of battleboxes and probably still will. I prefer the low pressure route. :)
Hit up any vendor with 1000+. Most frags jump from 300 to 100or less.

Everyone is super marked up. Before the Indo deal coral colonies started in Indo at 3-8.00 before they hit our suppliers here.

I haven't ordered much with Adam except for a contest piece. Would have to say I wish I made one my first big orders with Adam instead of others. As soon as next tank is cycled I'll be sending lots of coin to Adam.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed most live "sales" are not even sales at all. They just mark up the original asking price and act like the cut the price in half. I see "sales' on most of the every day corals like PC Rainbow with it saying original price $99 now on sale for $49, while $49 is all people would of paid to begin with.

You’re absolutely right Bubba. Furniture stores are the worst about that. I was eyeballing a sofa for a couple years, took pictures of the sofa and price tag. I show up for a Memorial Day sale ready to buy. 10% off everything! Woohoo!!! Except the price tag had been altered for the “original price” to be 10% on the dot higher than the “sale” price which was now the same price as it had been for 2 years. Yes. I still bought it. But I absolutely called them out on it and every sales person was all “uuuuh ummmmm well.....” and didn’t have much to say.

Exhibit A From a wonderful live sale recently. I won’t blast the vendor but they’re a popular one.

Aqua delight. 1/4” frag

932e0942fc3565f1d5228560870cfcf8.png

So glad Adam doesn’t accept this as a respectable frag size. Maybe in 2025 it will have become a mini colony. I’d consider this size a freebie or would never in my right mind pay more than $5-10 for it no matter how hot of an item it was

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't participate in the price sales. I've popped into a few but, eh not my cup of tea.. but I do hate when they cause the forum to run a bit slow. It used to be more noticeable, perhaps because they had greater traffic when occurring less frequently.. or maybe a server has been upgraded...

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No interest in them really. I prefer to take my time before making a purchase. As much as I love a good sale, I don't want the pressure to buy.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a sunset monti from a very recent sale for 79 dollars? That's laughable! People give this stuff away! Same supplier that calls something like a green monti cap "lime aqua selter delight!" And then charges 80 per frag. It's a joke and I dont know why it's allowed. As soon as people stop buying because of the vendor and start looking at pricing.... this will all be taken care of. I'd rather make fast pennies than slow dimes. But hey, that could just be me?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back