Batman Apathy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have participated in some and enjoyed only a couple of them. It is quite a chore to keep up with them for hours on end. I did score some amazing deals from some of them, but by and large, I find most of the "sale" prices to be what I would consider a reasonable price to begin with. No use in spending hours of my time fighting over normally priced frags lol.

Last edited:

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I participated 1.5 yrs ago when the one vendor had them weekly. Always had some really nice SPS colonies for relatively cheap. Seems like that vendor has gone to mostly frags instead of sps colonies. I've tried a couple of the more high end vendors but never had luck and got tired of sitting in front of the computer for 5-6 hrs. At that point, I'll pay full retail.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to post something about this! There was one specific vendor that i used to buy from during his live sales. I got my shipment in two days late and everything was dead. The vendor told me don't worry he'd hook me up with a credit for the next life sale. Good enough for me! Small business owner etc.... never got the credit. This was one of those no local pick up even though I'm 2 miles away from most of you sales. Oh and your "shipping module" is 49.99! So, no I don't do live sales anymore. You end up buying corals you don't want to justify the $50 shipping cost. Not to mention the sale price is more like list price!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like them! :D

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's human nature! People think they're getting a deal. Kinda like playing the lottery. Winning that $5 frag for bragging rights. I've participated in a couple. People go crazy with it for some reason. I myself have stuff to do rather than sit in front of a computer all weekend!!!! Just saying.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides, I think we all know who's toes your trying to step on. One big live sale going on this weekend????? Did that once. Bought $350 worth of nubs! I would have been better off spending less on some good quality frags!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great because they allow you to fee like you won something. You won because you are fast and you won because you got a “deal”. It’s just like playing slots, you keep on spinning in case you hit that next pay out. The current popularity is too much tho because you literally have to kill a weekend obsessively refreshing in order to make it worthwhile.

They are just a way for you to shake up our super exciting hobby of watching paint dry.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do Aqua SD Saturday live sales. Usually, I was looking for something specific and I could get things for a decent price. They've changed their format now so I don't bother.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are great because they allow you to fee like you won something. You won because you are fast and you won because you got a “deal”. It’s just like playing slots, you keep on spinning in case you hit that next pay out. The current popularity is too much tho because you literally have to kill a weekend obsessively refreshing in order to make it worthwhile.

They are just a way for you to shake up our super exciting hobby of watching paint dry.

That's what they want you to think ...but in reality you didn't win anything but a big paypal statement of overpriced coral .

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what live sales you are watching but it’s certainly cheaper than my local lfs. Different strokes I guess.

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to do live sales but it seems like 500 people trying to buy the same corals.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed most live "sales" are not even sales at all. They just mark up the original asking price and act like the cut the price in half. I see "sales' on most of the every day corals like PC Rainbow with it saying original price $99 now on sale for $49, while $49 is all people would of paid to begin with.

Last edited:

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed most live "sales" are not even sales at all. They just mark up the original asking price and act like the cut the price in half. I see "sales' on most of the every day corals like PC Rainbow with it saying original price $99 now on sale for $49, while $49 is all people would of paid to begin with.

Haha my thoughts exactly. I won’t mention names, but I’ve seen on some live sales numerous times where people have been like “I just bought this coral on the live sale and realized it’s cheaper if I would have just bought it regular price on your website”.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you bring this up I was thinking the same thing the other day when I saw yet again another live sale. On that note I do not participate but I do enjoy looking at all the corals for sale...gotta get my fix without spending lol

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wait till the end when all the coral goes on sale for a "steep" discount. Sure, it's not the mega explosion super frags that are left, but you find some good stuff.

I do think it is odd there are live sales every weekend. I don't know how many annual live sales we can have in a row before there is no more coral to sell.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no interest at all. I have a life and don't have the time nor would I participate in live sales if I did have time. I usually take a little time to search other vendors while the live sales go looking for a hidden gem that one of the frenzied, button smashing monkeys missed while they were fighting over a $5 frag of eagle eye zoos that the could have probably gotten for free at a local swap or club.

klm2500hd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No live sales for me, it seems like it would lead to impulse buying. I like to research before buying, and I have to have QT tank ready before buying. That and I have satellite internet which is slow and drops out.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one time I tried to do a live sale, I never got anything because things go so fast in a lot of cases. I got irritated, I dont want to sit in front of the computer waiting for something I want then not get anything. Gigantic waste of time. Plus, for the most part (not always) the sale price is not that great and it's usually offset by the shipping cost.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is clearly just an attempt to make consumers pay MORE for something, as they don't have time to compare prices, as well as draw in more impulse buys.

I am not a fan, and will never shop in that manner. I dislike vendors that try to take advantage of consumers like that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back