Battery back up

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone use this back up battery to run your powerhead incase power-outage? Thought?
One of my friends killed 6 of his fishes that he had for over 10years due to power outage 6-8 hours while he was at work.

7DC9C058-3C04-4BD2-BE79-819942B6D8C3.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks use UPS (uninteruptable power supplys) like that on their tank, some are even marketed for aquarium use (ecotech battery backup). That would be a good battery back up for running a powerhead for a few hours, the length of time it would last depends on which pump you are using and how much power it needs.

OP
OP
Twins Dragonz

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks use UPS (uninteruptable power supplys) like that on their tank, some are even marketed for aquarium use (ecotech battery backup). That would be a good battery back up for running a powerhead for a few hours, the length of time it would last depends on which pump you are using and how much power it needs.
Lol I agree with you. I have a ecotech battery backup that my friend gave me, inside of it just battery packs. It looks fancy with all cables and the box with name on it. I have my generator tied up to my house, but will let my friend knows to get one. <40$ not bad at all.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I agree with you. I have a ecotech battery backup that my friend gave me, inside of it just battery packs. It looks fancy with all cables and the box with name on it. I have my generator tied up to my house, but will let my friend knows to get one. <40$ not bad at all.
They often go on sale around the end of the year or right after winter (I used to work at Best Buy). If you don't need it now, I'd wait until then to get one and save some money, but you're right, $40 is not bad for one.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run two battery backups daisy chained to each other. I pulled them last night after talking to my son about it. We were talking about how we routinely buy corals and fish that have been in a bag for close to 24 hours and they are fine.

I may be quite wrong but my tank isn't heavily stocked. The longest power outage we've had (aside from a hurricane) was about five hours. I believe my tank would be fine with a five hour loss of power. A two week loss, like from a hurricane, battery backups wouldn't help with.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a marine battery, battery tender, and the right plug to hook it up to my MP40. Total parts was close to $120, but it'll run the MP40 for days, maybe even a week plus. Courtesy of hurricane Irma.

OP
OP
Twins Dragonz

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run two battery backups daisy chained to each other. I pulled them last night after talking to my son about it. We were talking about how we routinely buy corals and fish that have been in a bag for close to 24 hours and they are fine.

I may be quite wrong but my tank isn't heavily stocked. The longest power outage we've had (aside from a hurricane) was about five hours. I believe my tank would be fine with a five hour loss of power. A two week loss, like from a hurricane, battery backups wouldn't help with.
Corals, yes they would last couple days, with softie, 3-4 Days easily. I can’t explain why his fishes all died approx 8 hours of no water movement. Hope some expert would chip in for that. All his corals were fine, along with his pair of clowns and an engineer goby. The one died, magnificent fox face, marine bata, tominis, and three other tangs. Those fishes were with him 10+ years.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish survive in sealed bags because the PH drops significantly during shipping (buildup of CO2), causing the ammonia to be in a more harmless state (ammonium). Once those bags are exposed to air, the PH rises and would quickly kill them if they are left in that water for very long. That's why it's often best to have water that is a similar salinity as the seller and float to adjust the temperature and just open the bag and dump them in.

A few hours isn't usually an issue, but much longer without circulation or aeration can be an issue.

Back