Battery Backup Advice

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking for a reasonably priced battery backup option for the reef that I am setting up. I want the backup to run my wavemaker and return pump for at least 8 hours so I don't have to worry about things happening when I'm not home. The wavemaker is a CurrentUSA controllable 24vdc (I will probably have 2) and I plan on using a Sicce Syncra Pro for the return pump (which is AC).

I have read that you don't need to backup your return pump, and that the wavepumps are all that you need. Is this true?

Are their any battery backups that would run both of these pumps? I basically have no knowledge on this, and would appreciate any advice or articles you think would help.

If I don't have to worry about backing up my return pump, which backup has the most bang for its buck?

Thank you for reading through this,

-Misbar

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long-life computer UPS.

I would run your return pump for as long as possible... more water volume to keep the temp stead, and better gas exchange.

ac4570

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking for a reasonably priced battery backup option for the reef that I am setting up. I want the backup to run my wavemaker and return pump for at least 8 hours so I don't have to worry about things happening when I'm not home. The wavemaker is a CurrentUSA controllable 24vdc (I will probably have 2) and I plan on using a Sicce Syncra Pro for the return pump (which is AC).

I have read that you don't need to backup your return pump, and that the wavepumps are all that you need. Is this true?

Are their any battery backups that would run both of these pumps? I basically have no knowledge on this, and would appreciate any advice or articles you think would help.

If I don't have to worry about backing up my return pump, which backup has the most bang for its buck?

Thank you for reading through this,

-Misbar
Not sure what your budget is but I use this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower-1500va-battery-back-up-system-black/3938817.p?skuId=3938817
I’m not sure how long it would last with just those running but I’d imagine quite a few hours.. just tested mine and with my return (hydor seltz DC 500GPH) and power head (icecap gyre 2k) the screen was telling me 470 minutes at full charge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long-life computer UPS.

I would run your return pump for as long as possible... more water volume to keep the temp stead, and better gas exchange.
Thanks for your input.
Would the UPS backups be for the ac return pump or the dc wavepump? I thought they they had to use up more energy to convert it from one to the other or something like that.

Not sure what your budget is but I use this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower-1500va-battery-back-up-system-black/3938817.p?skuId=3938817
I’m not sure how long it would last with just those running but I’d imagine quite a few hours.. just tested mine and with my return (hydor seltz DC 500GPH) and power head (icecap gyre 2k) the screen was telling me 470 minutes at full charge.
Thank you for the link. I will have to compare prices.

patriot dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be helpful, I have a new Sicce Syncra ADV 5.5 A/C pump on a cyber power computer back up. The pump does not start back up after power is inturrupted. I can't explain why. My old Sicce Syncra silence 2.5 always did but this newer pump is a little different as it "soft starts" when its plugged into power or switched on.

I specifically keep my return pump on a computer battery backup but I don't know how to make this pump re-start when power is interrupted. This problem makes the backup useless if the pump won't start back up

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have the heater on the backup, then you probably can get away with not having the return on backup, I would point the powerhead at surface to aid gas exchange in that case.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back