Battery backup (APC UPS?) for nano tanks

Orion120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Anyone use a backup power supply on your nano tanks? I am starting to acquire more livestock, and would hate to have a 12 hour power outage and lose everything.

I know there are battery powered airstones, but I am not interested in those. Just looking for something to take over and run one small 4 watt pump for a few hours.

Thanks!

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an APC on our tank. Since we've been setting up a second tank I can't say exactly what's on it, but the essentials such as pump, maybe heater, etc. Never have tested it long term (knock on wood) but in a few power blips it has worked. Not sure how powerful it is (can check later if you would like) but it barely uses much of the % of the backup.

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres really only two options that i know of:
1. buy a vortech pump, and build a backup battery. i think this is the best long term solution to the problem. Yeah the vortechs are more expensive but its worth it. I live just outside new orleans, so I NEED to be able to keep my tank running. Last hurricane i lost power for like 36 hours, and the battery in my link kept my tank alive and well for all that time. Check out this write up i did on my local reef forum. DIY Ecotech backup battery pack - DIY and Instructionals - Bayou Reefkeeping - a Gulf Coast based reef club

2. Buy some battery operated air pumps. Their cheap, like $10-20. you can find them at any bait shop. Problem with this option is that you must be home when the power goes out in order to turn them on.... (more of a sort term solution)

Hope that helps

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Anyone use a backup power supply on your nano tanks? I am starting to acquire more livestock, and would hate to have a 12 hour power outage and lose everything.

I know there are battery powered airstones, but I am not interested in those. Just looking for something to take over and run one small 4 watt pump for a few hours.

Thanks!

It certainly is not going to hurt to have one installed just in case especially if you have lots of expensive live stock and even if you don't as it is best to do all we can to keep our animals alive regardless of what happens.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it certainly is not going to hurt having one in case you need it .. not sure how long the 1500 can run equipment for but as long as it can run the min. you need on your tank for a couple of hours that is the important thing. When I had a larger tank I use to run one, but my only problem with them is that the batteries tend to have to be replaced fairly quickly. Not sure how long yours is good for but the one I had the batteries needed changing at least one a year and they were not give-aways FWIW

OP
OP
O

Orion120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to provide an update to this thread. I recently bought a UPS backup from Costco CyberPower 1500VA/900Watts Uninterruptible Power Supply 8 Outlet LCD Diagnostic Display
Although the one I bought is not listed on their website, the link above is close.
The model I bought is 810watts/1350VA, and was only $89.00. This is a STEAL, and has a lot of good reviews. 3 year warranty.

I charged it up, and only let my mp10 run on battery. After 3 hours of running on the battery it still showed a 95% charge so it will run for long time while your power is out.

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very pleasing to me as I had bought a 300 Watt Cyber Power to run my main pump in case of a a quick outage.. seems to happen often here for some reason... I will be running my little giiant on it which is 700 GPH, but it should only need to run for 10-30 mins.... I hop it works for me as well as this one has for you

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to provide an update to this thread. I recently bought a UPS backup from Costco CyberPower 1500VA/900Watts Uninterruptible Power Supply 8 Outlet LCD Diagnostic Display
Although the one I bought is not listed on their website, the link above is close.
The model I bought is 810watts/1350VA, and was only $89.00. This is a STEAL, and has a lot of good reviews. 3 year warranty.

I charged it up, and only let my mp10 run on battery. After 3 hours of running on the battery it still showed a 95% charge so it will run for long time while your power is out.

if it lasts that long on the mp10 why dont you just put your return pump on the ups instead of the mp10

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is pretty good performance indeed ! and a good price too

OP
OP
O

Orion120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it lasts that long on the mp10 why dont you just put your return pump on the ups instead of the mp10

The mp10 uses 6 watts while the return pump uses 10 watts. So I would see less battery life with the return pump.
The mp10 also provides much more flow (200gph) throughout the tank compared to the return pump (92gph).

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery backup on my tank. When I used to have it on my freshwater tank, it would run for about an hour with my filter and heater attached to it. I have one of these, Amazon.com: CyberPower CP685AVRLCD Intelligent LCD 685VA 390W with AVR Desktop UPS: Electronics

My reef is currently attached to it, but I have no clue how long it will last, I could check the diagnostic screen when I get home.

I only plan to have mymain reaturn pump running on it... once I get a full charg on the back Up I was planning on cutting power to the back up and seeing how long it will run the return pump. This is what I have:

CyberPower OR500LCDRM1U Rackmount UPS - 500VA/300W, AVR, LCD, 1U at TigerDirect.com

Back