Battery backup questions

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Will the Ice Cap battery back ups run the 300 series pumps?

2. Can you have a battery backup only back up 1 of a pair of gyres? Id rather have 1 gyre run at 30% for 30+ hours than have two run for a much shorter period.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incase anyone else was wondering i received this reply from their customer service.

"1) Yes, they are compatible
2) Yes, when in battery mode, you can specify which pump remains ON and which pump is OFF

---
Sincerely,
Carlos Chacon"

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incase anyone else was wondering i received this reply from their customer service.

"1) Yes, they are compatible
2) Yes, when in battery mode, you can specify which pump remains ON and which pump is OFF

---
Sincerely,
Carlos Chacon"

Very Appreciate your help in explanation!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to know is if you need to purchase anything other than the battery? Will it automatically detect a power outage like the ecotech ones?

CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to purchase anything else. The Gyre controller will know if it is running from battery power.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone test their battery backups? I tested on my Gyre 350, and if it runs at 30%, it only lasts around 6 hours.
At 10%, only around 12 hours. Definitely no where close to 30+ hours. Is the 30+ hours for the smaller gyre pumps? Or is my battery bad? Was bought new a few months ago.

Thanks

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone test their battery backups? I tested on my Gyre 350, and if it runs at 30%, it only lasts around 6 hours.
At 10%, only around 12 hours. Definitely no where close to 30+ hours. Is the 30+ hours for the smaller gyre pumps? Or is my battery bad? Was bought new a few months ago.

Thanks
Hi, thanks for your support. Let me add something regarding the backup battery:

The normal psu voltage(For Gyre) is 24V;

If the backup power voltage output is between 22V and 24V, then the Gyre controller is work same as under normal psu, meaning it will not enter backup power mode under 22V to 24V power supply unit;

If the backup power voltage output is between 12V and 22V, then the Gyre controller will enter backup power mode, and the higher the backup power voltage(the wattage) output is, the Gyre running power is closer to its power under normal mode(The Gyre power under 24V psu);

If the backup power voltage output is lower than 12V, the controller might also enter backup power mode, but the pump is not running, because the voltage is too low.

In conclusion, as long as the backup battery is between 12V and 22V, the controller could automatically switch to backup battery mode, and if the backup battery wattage is closer to Gyre's normal wattage(24V*4A = 96w in USA market), the output of gyre in backup battery mode is closer to its normal power output.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back