Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say mine was in medium flow, what do you guys think? Bubba, what kind of flow is yours in?
If I had to guess, I’d say high to very high. It’s in a 50 gallon frag tank that’s only 10” deep that uses two gyre 250’s that alternate and the power is at 40%.

snakejacques

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines in highlight and high flow I think that's why it's encrusting so much and it's purple not green

snakejacques

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did change the light to all T fives 8 ball fixture we'll see what that does

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, I’d say high to very high. It’s in a 50 gallon frag tank that’s only 10” deep that uses two gyre 250’s that alternate and the power is at 40%.

That should be approx 2100gph at the source
In my case, the MP40s are pushing approx 2600gph (also in an anti-sync/alternating mode)

Not sure if this provides any frame of reference for anyone or not. Also, this is assuming that the controllers work in a linear fashion from max power to the levels we have them set.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be approx 2100gph at the source
In my case, the MP40s are pushing approx 2600gph (also in an anti-sync/alternating mode)

Not sure if this provides any frame of reference for anyone or not. Also, this is assuming that the controllers work in a linear fashion from max power to the levels we have them set.
I think the size and dimensions of the tank play a huge role though, even your rock work. In my 180 gallon I use same powerheads but run them at 100% and there doesn't seem to be nearly as much flow in that tank as my frag tank.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines in highlight and high flow I think that's why it's encrusting so much and it's purple not green
I am wondering if the green I am getting is more of a transitioning color. I have mine in pretty high par also. I measured it about a month ago at 425 par.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if the green I am getting is more of a transitioning color. I have mine in pretty high par also. I measured it about a month ago at 425 par.

I dont have any green; your pictures show considerably more color (about the best example in this thread I think) than I have thus far but you're also giving it about 30% more PAR at 425. I'm getting a lot of purple at the moment and some of the areas where were white/light are starting to come back. It looks like our flow is quite similar. Impossible for me to share much because of the move and the change in lighting (Blue+ to Actinics). I might even change the lighting up a bit again.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who feels how we measure growth sucks? It's normal for frags to encrust before the main branch grows and with us using the starting measuring point to the top of the original main branch as the only way to measure growth, I feel the contest needed to be longer before people actually start to see that happen. It seems almost everyone in the contest are still in the encrusting phase. I understand not using the encrusting down the plug as a measurement because not everyone used a plug and for those who didn't it looks like that had zero growth next to a ruler because their growth was horizontal.

Anyone want to discuss how measuring could be more fair or accurate? Maybe even extend the contest to see the real growth of the coral.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the contestants left after May (I haven't tallied June entries yet since the month isn't over). 26 left!
newbreefer316
MTBake
Shameless_Dood missed one
ksfulk
TonapahNorth missed one
Da Ghost missed one
rlman41299 missed one
alten78 missed one
jerrad
domination2580
Chac317
Clownman727 missed one
Crimsonvice
kdino
bubbaque
Tcup25
Josh Kraft
SWSooner
snakejacques
Tphill
Nola Bear missed one
nashorn missed one
Dmw913 missed one
Caravanshaka
Karl M
servo missed one

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought by 6 months we'd have better growth that this, to be honest. We should have picked a different frag I think :(

The growth rate isnt all that abnormal for a lot of fresh cut acropora frags. Some grow like weeds but most like to throw down a strong base before they grow vertically. You can crown a six month "winner" and then just extend the contest to one year.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back