Battling Algae

Saurabhdxb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, need urgent help on my tank which has started to bloom in Algae

parameters seems to ok, was dosing Vibrant but no success, planning to dose NoPox hope tht works but my PO4 are 0 and NO3 are low as well photo attached

please advise

420C3C4A-446B-43A7-8194-5C31F0A1602F.jpeg 1B07CE55-C9F8-4BD8-B545-9CEB073433EE.jpeg 5093F276-8644-47C9-A528-7603871956DF.jpeg AAFF993C-FEE9-4334-AE94-11D840C0EB3D.jpeg BDDFEE58-E91F-422B-AB42-23F6252C4F36.jpeg

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pics under white lights? That may help I.d the algae. Dinos tend to love low no3/p04 from my experience atleast. But I'm not an expert. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will advice.

OP
OP
Saurabhdxb

Saurabhdxb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pics under white lights? That may help I.d the algae. Dinos tend to love low no3/p04 from my experience atleast. But I'm not an expert. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will advice.
its brown color thick and hair , and has taken over my snails, my zoa plug, my gsp and the sand

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an algae outbreaks you're likely to see low to no nutrients as the algae are using them up.
How long were you dosing vibrant?

OP
OP
Saurabhdxb

Saurabhdxb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an algae outbreaks you're likely to see low to no nutrients as the algae are using them up.
How long were you dosing vibrant?
twice a week for atleast 2-3 weeks

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twice a week for atleast 2-3 weeks
You'd need to dose longer. BRS did a test with it and ran it for 9 weeks before it cleared majority of the algae. I've attached a picture of the timescales it will roughly take to beat different types of algae, I've also attached the thread that has the information in.
Screenshot_20200407-213339.png

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shud i be dosing this

AC1716AC-3548-4894-8B72-A3EDD98D8F71.jpeg
I'm hesitant to go the chemical route, I keep reading that it'll just come back with a vengeance after it disappears the first time. Everything I read is to find the source of the problem, (feeding, lighting, water changes, etc.). I was looking at an Algae Turf Scrubber or a Chaeto Reactor for a bit. I might do that in the future, right now I'm getting all of the assets I need to test the water going into the aquarium, TDS meter and now a Phosphate tester. I think what I have is diatoms though, so silicates are my problem. The video had MicroBacter7 as a possible start to out compete the cyano, I'd probably do that and ramp up as you go.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like ChemiClean will be like all of the other miracle chemicals. You can do it but follow the directions to the T or you'll end up destroying your tank. I recently had a planaria outbreak and used Flatworm EXit, I didn't have any issues but I know a lot of people complain about things like that killing off their tanks.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
shud i be dosing this

AC1716AC-3548-4894-8B72-A3EDD98D8F71.jpeg

Don't dose that. It's like putting a finger to plug a water leak when you have 6 other leaks going on at the same time.

Do as @JoshO suggested and trust the process. I had exactly the same issues you have and I did 3 things and all my hair algae, cyano and turf algae went away in about 6 weeks. Reduce feeding, shorten photoperiod and continue dosing vibrant.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need to dose longer. BRS did a test with it and ran it for 9 weeks before it cleared majority of the algae. I've attached a picture of the timescales it will roughly take to beat different types of algae, I've also attached the thread that has the information in.
See this is why I still think vibrant is snake oil.
In 6 to 9 weeks and a little good husbandry most algea outbreaks will clear out on their own.
I have tried it and wasn't impressed. I have half a bottle. If you want to come get it, its yours.
Can't id that, pics are too blue.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
See this is why I still think vibrant is snake oil.
In 6 to 9 weeks and a little good husbandry most algea outbreaks will clear out on their own.
I have tried it and wasn't impressed. I have half a bottle. If you want to come get it, its yours.
Can't id that, pics are too blue.

All I will say is that I tried the frequent water changes and good husbandry route and it didn't work. On some tanks, depending on how new they may be, algae outbreaks are inevitable. All I added to my plan of attack was that product and persistence and it finally went away.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I will say is that I tried the frequent water changes and good husbandry route and it didn't work. On some tanks, depending on how new they may be, algae outbreaks are inevitable. All I added to my plan of attack was that product and persistence and it finally went away.
It seems to work for many people.
I'm also a stubborn butt often. So, there's that.

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell what you have with the blue light; you need to turn the light to white.

As for Chemiclean, if you have cyanobacteria it'll get rid of it. I've used it before and had zero negative effects in my tank and it cleared it up 100% in two days.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all tanks go through a phase like this. I recommend maintenance (water changes), manual removal a few times per week, and for GHA I found fluconazole smacked it around enough that manual removal took care of it. I would not dose NOPOX or anything like that, if your only symptom is algae. I went that route and chased whack-a-mole issues for 6 months. It will go away. It could be rock leaching nutrients, which just takes some time before that slows/stops.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back