Battling algea

JTFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank to a 120 gallon over a year ago since than I have been battling algea from diatom to hair algea to cyano... my water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.3
Salt 1.025
Alk 9.0
CA 460
Mag 1400
Nitrate 4ppm
Phos .1
I run phosguard and carbon I do water 24 gallon water changes every 2 weeks
I don't have much for corals some zoas and xenia
I have a tomini tang, an ember blenny... a carribean blue chromis ...a royal gamma ... a mandarin goby...a sand sifter starfish...a red serpent starfish...and hermit crabs and 2 conchs
Screenshot_20210418-144513_Gallery.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank to a 120 gallon over a year ago since than I have been battling algea from diatom to hair algea to cyano... my water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.3
Salt 1.025
Alk 9.0
CA 460
Mag 1400
Nitrate 4ppm
Phos .1
I run phosguard and carbon I do water 24 gallon water changes every 2 weeks
I don't have much for corals some zoas and xenia
I have a tomini tang, an ember blenny... a carribean blue chromis ...a royal gamma ... a mandarin goby...a sand sifter starfish...a red serpent starfish...and hermit crabs and 2 conchs
Screenshot_20210418-144513_Gallery.jpg
Whats your filtration? Skimmer? Ever consider refugium growing macroalgae to out compete nuisance algae? Water changes siphoning algae off rocks & sand?

I'm using Vibrant in addition to 2 filter socks (2 returns) & large skimmer. Had refugium with macroalgae but Vibrant killed my good with my bad algae <wink>

OP
OP
JTFL

JTFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your filtration? Skimmer? Ever consider refugium growing macroalgae to out compete nuisance algae? Water changes siphoning algae off rocks & sand?

I'm using Vibrant in addition to 2 filter socks (2 returns) & large skimmer. Had refugium with macroalgae but Vibrant killed my good with my bad algae <wink>
I currently am running two tidal 110 filters and a coral life protein skimmer. I also run two bags of purigen...4 power heads...two old aquaclear hang on filters just for water movement...I have two ai hydra 26 for light...I do once a week feedings by pipette I use Dr g sps coral food and one cube of mysis shrimp... I included my light schedule.
Screenshot_20210418-154133_myAI.jpg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae to outcompete the nuisance algae. caulerpa and gracilaria work for me. They look good and keep the other algae at bay. Maybe bring up your nitrates a tiny bit by dosing and monitor them after introducing the macros. Mine stripped the NO3 quickly

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start thinking about bumping up your filtration. Hang on back filters and Corallife skimmers can be small. A 120 gallon tank is a big tank. Is your tank drilled? A tank that size should have a dozen Turbo snails and the same number of hermits wouldn’t hurt as well. Get a white bucket and vacuum all of your sandbed. You may discover part of your algae problem. Good luck :)

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut out the coral food maybe and let those nitrates climb a bit. I was always terrified of having higher nitrates in my aquariums and now I realized that if my nitrates are below 15 bad things happen in my reef

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back