BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Kamado style cooker on the way. I’m very excited to get a new style down this year. I have had a pellet grill for a while but I just miss the whole lump charcoal flavor. I have a brisket and pork shoulder in the freezer for a break in

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I normally grill/smoke all year round, this year has been exceptionally cold.

-25F for an avaerage high temp in january is not conducive to grilling/smoking anything. Not unusual for here, but what is unusual is the extended amount of time we have had those temps.

Looking forward to it warming up a bit so I can fire up the pellet smoker again.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Kamado style cooker on the way. I’m very excited to get a new style down this year. I have had a pellet grill for a while but I just miss the whole lump charcoal flavor. I have a brisket and pork shoulder in the freezer for a break in

you know they make charcoal pellets.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you

been debating picking up an off set grill or something like a green egg just don’t know if I want to baby sit a firer.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you

been debating picking up an off set grill or something like a green egg just don’t know if I want to baby sit a firer.
I am sure I’m going to miss the lack of babysitting at times. I already have a FireBoard that can drive a blower fan. Once I have the grill I will try the blower set up to assist with some of the babysitting

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure I’m going to miss the lack of babysitting at times. I already have a FireBoard that can drive a blower fan. Once I have the grill I will try the blower set up to assist with some of the babysitting
I can't get used to the lack of smoke flavor you get from pellet grills. I have one and use it a lot but when I want to do a real good brisket or pork butt, I go back to my real smoker. I've tried doing a brisket on the lowest setting for 12 hours and it still didn't have the same smoke flavor I get from my smoker. And I even used 100% hickory pellets. Also have tried smoke tubes but still just wasn't anywhere near as good.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't get used to the lack of smoke flavor you get from pellet grills. I have one and use it a lot but when I want to do a real good brisket or pork butt, I go back to my real smoker. I've tried doing a brisket on the lowest setting for 12 hours and it still didn't have the same smoke flavor I get from my smoker. And I even used 100% hickory pellets. Also have tried smoke tubes but still just wasn't anywhere near as good.

I have never had that issue with pellets. You need to buy 100 percent real wood pellets not this cheap mix pellets.
Also run them on a lower setting for a bit.

Also smoke is supposed to enhance the flavor not be the flavor. To many people over smoke their food.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what makes me want to buy an offset grill.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did ribs this weekend

Attachments

• A63C94F4-DB3D-4969-A184-3914F06EBC9C.jpeg
    A63C94F4-DB3D-4969-A184-3914F06EBC9C.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 027BD18F-3CB7-46D3-B600-709C54D90D4E.jpeg
    027BD18F-3CB7-46D3-B600-709C54D90D4E.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 0C548BEF-214E-442E-8B53-07BBF58719F2.jpeg
    0C548BEF-214E-442E-8B53-07BBF58719F2.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 3
  • AA2364D0-5EFC-4F22-BF67-6E79F31AA787.jpeg
    AA2364D0-5EFC-4F22-BF67-6E79F31AA787.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2A037324-DCC7-4931-8974-F5C4DD03C0BE.jpeg
    2A037324-DCC7-4931-8974-F5C4DD03C0BE.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 7319E9CB-EA0F-4D5D-9B13-83FE639C90A5.jpeg
    7319E9CB-EA0F-4D5D-9B13-83FE639C90A5.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had that issue with pellets. You need to buy 100 percent real wood pellets not this cheap mix pellets.
Also run them on a lower setting for a bit.

Also smoke is supposed to enhance the flavor not be the flavor. To many people over smoke their food.
My post stated I used 100% hickory pellets (Lumber Jack brand), and I started the smoke for 12 hours at the lowest setting possible on the rec-tec. It just isn't the same as my smoker. I usually smoke way more than we can eat so I take the left-overs to a few of my coworkers. When I switched over to a pellet grill they all asked me the next day what I did differently because the meat didn't have the good smoked flavor they were used to from all my cooks.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post stated I used 100% hickory pellets (Lumber Jack brand), and I started the smoke for 12 hours at the lowest setting possible on the rec-tec. It just isn't the same as my smoker. I usually smoke way more than we can eat so I take the left-overs to a few of my coworkers. When I switched over to a pellet grill they all asked me the next day what I did differently because the meat didn't have the good smoked flavor they were used to from all my cooks.
What was your smoker prior to the pellet grill?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your smoker prior to the pellet grill?

Not a prior. I currently have a weber kettle, weber propane, old country over/under smoker and at Recteq 700 pellet grill. Hoping to add an Oklahoma Joe reverse smoker to the collection this year. The Recteq replaced my Pit Boss pellet grill because I was seeing up to 100 degree swings on it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am just saying it can be done that is the whole reason so many people want them banded from competition.
Competition is about the food and the taste not how you get there. If they could not get the same flavor people would not care about pellet grills.

Kind of like a speed boat race and someone enters a rowboat. No one cares because he does not have a shot and they would just laugh at him.

Problem with Competition is people feel like Pellet grills are cheating. They would not care if these people were loosing and also people would not use one if they did not have a chance with them.

Again allot of people use way to much smoke. Smoke is supposed to enhance the flavor not be the flavor. Food is not supposed to taste like a ashtray and I have met way to many people that that is how their food tastes and honestly way to many people who believe that is how they should taste, the more smoke the better. Than just use dirty smoke.

You want real challenge a pit barrel or barrel smoker is the way to go in my opinion not offset. I have not cooked on one in a while but that is my next purchase.

I love my pellet grill. I can set and forget and go out and work on my truck or garden. Great at regulating heat for stuff like jerky. I also like my other grills for certain things too. I love my weber for really hot stuff, my gas grill in the winter when I need something fast. I love my griddle because it is so fun and easy clean up. I love my open fire pit too. ETC.

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just saying it can be done that is the whole reason so many people want them banded from competition.
Competition is about the food and the taste not how you get there. If they could not get the same flavor people would not care about pellet grills.

Kind of like a speed boat race and someone enters a rowboat. No one cares because he does not have a shot and they would just laugh at him.

Problem with Competition is people feel like Pellet grills are cheating. They would not care if these people were loosing and also people would not use one if they did not have a chance with them.

Again allot of people use way to much smoke. Smoke is supposed to enhance the flavor not be the flavor. Food is not supposed to taste like a ashtray and I have met way to many people that that is how their food tastes and honestly way to many people who believe that is how they should taste, the more smoke the better. Than just use dirty smoke.

You want real challenge a pit barrel or barrel smoker is the way to go in my opinion not offset. I have not cooked on one in a while but that is my next purchase.

I love my pellet grill. I can set and forget and go out and work on my truck or garden. Great at regulating heat for stuff like jerky. I also like my other grills for certain things too. I love my weber for really hot stuff, my gas grill in the winter when I need something fast. I love my griddle because it is so fun and easy clean up. I love my open fire pit too. ETC.

I just know me, my family and my coworkers like it a lot better off my smoker than off my pellet grill. I guess we all just have bad taste buds.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back