Bean animal gets out of wack after filter sock change

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the water height in the filter sock does not raise higher then the sump level, it won't affect the flow? Or it will anyway? (Holes in sock right below water line)
Yes! If when you install a fresh sock water in the sock matches sump and stays at that height in the sock. I’m betting a small hole in the sock would do very little for you. Too large a hole and large organics will lay waste to the sump area. Honestly best solution is to just simply change the sock every other day whether it looks dirty or not to keep the water levels constant.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am looking at the picture correctly- your secondary drain is below the waterline. The second drain really doesn’t handle much flow except maybe when your return pump first starts. it should be tuned to just be a trickle with an active siphon on the primary drain handling the bulk.... I believe the secondary drain needs to exhaust above the water line. it shouldn’t be too noisy after tuning the primary drain to handle the bulk. As far as the primary drain, I understand why you would want it exhaust below the water line but maybe consider some drilled holes or teeth at the water line to help water to exhaust with less pressure. The closer to the waterline, the easier it is for the water to exhaust out of the pipe.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange now. I seem to be getting evaporation only from my overflow. I turned off my ATO last night and my pump chamber hasn't moved but my overflow has dropped. Any ideas whats going on here? FYI, the overflow is covered, not sure if that matters.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has you or anyone else modified the pipes inside the overflow?
Have you verified they are all at the correct height or position?

Screenshot_20210121-094426_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has you or anyone else modified the pipes inside the overflow?
Have you verified they are all at the correct height or position?

Screenshot_20210121-094426_Chrome.jpg
Nope. That's exactly how I set it up....I'm thinking it might have to do with my water level in my return chamber....I'm going to try something else and see. ..

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange now. I seem to be getting evaporation only from my overflow. I turned off my ATO last night and my pump chamber hasn't moved but my overflow has dropped. Any ideas whats going on here? FYI, the overflow is covered, not sure if that matters.
Not likely evaporation, more likely flow backing up then releasing... then backing up again.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back