Bean animal help

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I quiet this thing down. It’s a 240 gallon tank with a Trigger Saphire 44 sump. Return pump is a Vectra L2 set at 40ish percent. Drains and returns are all 1.5”. Two issues I’m having is the splashing in the sump. Like the sump drains are overwhelmed. I also have a lot of noise coming from the open drain. There seems to be a lot of water going down the open line. I do have a hole drilled in the top of the open drain and it is out of the water. No matter how a tweek the full syphon gate valve and return pump I can’t quiet it down. Sump noise.

E09E4371-2FFC-4343-BA94-3412FB4A6E60.jpeg

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve on the main drain? Do you have a DC pump to control the return flow? Your turnover is too much

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes gate valve on the main line. Vectra L2 on lowest setting.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta find the sweet spot…. Adjust the water going to the sump slower to get rid of the splashing I would assume… then have to ramp up or down the return pump so the sump levels stay where you like them.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I stop too much water from going down the open line? That’s the noisiest part of the system.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be no water going down the open line (backup drain?).

With my new S850 I have to run my two Vectra M2 return pumps at 20% and 30% in order to not overwhelm the 1" primary drain.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you open up the gate valve can you keep a siphon and prevent water from going down the backup drain? If not, you will have to slow down the return pump. With 1.5" main drain it should be able to handle huge amount of water when in siphon mode.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I stop too much water from going down the open line? That’s the noisiest part of the system.

To reduce the flow in the secondary drain (i think that is what you are calling the open drain) you either need to increase the flow in the main drain or reduce the flow from your return pump.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have the Vectra L2 at the lowest setting and the gate valve fully open. That has quieted it down but I still hear some water going down the open channel.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the bubbles and noise are coming from too much water going down the trickle drain. Open the gate valve on the siphon to drop the water level in the overflow box.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems crazy that I can only run a Vectra L2 on its lowest setting with the full syphon valve full open. On 1.5” drain lines. Even with the valve fully open I can still hear water going down the open channel. Is that normal. I have got to be screwing something up here. How much higher should the open channel be compared to the full syphon.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Herbie tanks and the main drain is 3-4" below the backup drain on both. And both are silent.

But I only have an S1 on one tank and two M2s on the other.

Can you not see your drains in the overflow/weir?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an L2 is a 3100gph pump, although you have it turned down and DC pumps do lose a lot of flow from head pressure.

You may have to raise the trickle an inch or so.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Herbie tanks and the main drain is 3-4" below the backup drain on both. And both are silent.

Can you not see your drains in the overflow/weirdly overflow box is translucent. I can see

Can you not see your drains in the overflow/weir.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why the gate valve was not doing anything. I think I figured out my issue and got it almost dead quiet. I think between the large piping and the schedule 80 full syphon plumbing were too large and the system couldn’t purge the air. I remade the main syphon using schedule 40 and it’s really quiet now. I can hear a trickle in the sump but it’s mostly quiet. L2 is at 40%. Thank you everyone for trying to help.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why the gate valve was not doing anything. I think I figured out my issue and got it almost dead quiet. I think between the large piping and the schedule 80 full syphon plumbing were too large and the system couldn’t purge the air. I remade the main syphon using schedule 40 and it’s really quiet now. I can hear a trickle in the sump but it’s mostly quiet. L2 is at 40%. Thank you everyone for trying to help.
I was going to suggest that. I was running 1.5” on a previous tank and it really takes a lot of flow to purge the air. I just set up a system with 1” plumbing and it’s perfect, though space constraints resulted in splashing from the 90 at the bottom of my open channel… I’m going to redo that once my setup budget recovers.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad it's mostly better. I just watched your Youtube video; missed it before, I guess.

How far under the water line are the drain lines terminating in the sump?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. You want to shoot for no more than an inch under the water level in the first chamber.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back