Bean animal HOB overflow

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if it is possible to make a bean animal overflow with one of the hang on back overflow boxes with a U tube. Does anyone know how this could be done?

If this thread is in the wrong place, can someone let me know.

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not possible. A U tub requires a constant gravity syphon. Bean animal overflows work by restricting flow with a valve to limit air in the pipe. They are two entirely different approaches, with the later being FAR more preferable.

If you want an external box, you’re going to need to drill a hole in your tank. I would recommend drilling two for redundancy. There are commercially available boxes that will allow you to do this. But like I said, they require drilling.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not possible. A U tub requires a constant gravity syphon. Bean animal overflows work by restricting flow with a valve to limit air in the pipe. They are two entirely different approaches, with the later being FAR more preferable.

If you want an external box, you’re going to need to drill a hole in your tank. I would recommend drilling two for redundancy. There are commercially available boxes that will allow you to do this. But like I said, they require drilling.
I know that drilling is preferable, but my tank is filled. Could I still drill it now? Also, could a u tube siphon water to an external box where pipes for a bean animal were set up instead of the water going through the glass to get there?

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically I guess you could. But it doesn't sound like a good idea. It would most likely result in lots of floods. Which defeats the purpose of a bean animal overflow. Bean animals are great for two reasons. One, no floods, two, quiet operation. All you'd be getting is quiet operation. I can guarantee that you will increase the chance of flooding by setting up a U tube syphon this way.

You can't safely drill a tank from the side when it's already filled. It sucks, but I would recommend tearing your tank down and starting over with a pre-drilled tank, or try to drill your tank yourself after emptying it. There's a chance you'll crack it though so I would be prepared with a backup plan just in case.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically I guess you could. But it doesn't sound like a good idea. It would most likely result in lots of floods. Which defeats the purpose of a bean animal overflow. Bean animals are great for two reasons. One, no floods, two, quiet operation. All you'd be getting is quiet operation. I can guarantee that you will increase the chance of flooding by setting up a U tube syphon this way.

You can't safely drill a tank from the side when it's already filled. It sucks, but I would recommend tearing your tank down and starting over with a pre-drilled tank, or try to drill your tank yourself after emptying it. There's a chance you'll crack it though so I would be prepared with a backup plan just in case.
Ok thanks. I already have fish in my tank, so emptying it to drill isn’t really an option. I guess if a filled tank can’t be drilled, I’ll just have to go with an HOB.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back