Bean Animal Noise PLEASE hElp

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want the water level on the outside box too much lower than the water level in the inside box or you will hear splashing goes through and falls. You’re limited by the height of emergency drain.
That's the kicker with some of these kits. They lop off over an inch of the top of the external box so it will fit traditional rimmed aquariums, but that space is absolutely critical for silence and safety at high flow rates. Basically anything will work with lower flow rates.

The one pictured (Exotic Marine) uses spacers to get around trim and a full height external box. I honestly don't understand why more companies don't do this other than they don't "get it."

OP
OP
trailblazur

trailblazur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the kicker with some of these kits. They lop off over an inch of the top of the external box so it will fit traditional rimmed aquariums, but that space is absolutely critical for silence and safety at high flow rates. Basically anything will work with lower flow rates.

The one pictured (Exotic Marine) uses spacers to get around trim and a full height external box. I honestly don't understand why more companies don't do this other than they don't "get it."
So the exotic marine solves all these problems?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exotic Marine does seem to address the major issues (external box height, slots instead of teeth). I'd never buy an overflow kit personally (Exotic, Synergy or otherwise) because I think they're too small, but that's beside the point. If I was in the market, I'd start another thread and see what actual owners think :) Just make sure the holes line up. Pretty sure they do but :rolleyes:

OP
OP
trailblazur

trailblazur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best I can do with it is with the upipe off the secondary with a tiny trickle going down.

Even the tiny trickle is quite noisy in the pipe w the echo and all and as you mentioned I also get the noise from the weir.

the instructions say 15-20% of the water should be going down the secondary, but that is even louder :/

someone in another thread here recommended an enkamat for the inside of the weir??

Exotic Marine does seem to address the major issues (external box height, slots instead of teeth). I'd never buy an overflow kit personally (Exotic, Synergy or otherwise) because I think they're too small, but that's beside the point. If I was in the market, I'd start another thread and see what actual owners think :) Just make sure the holes line up. Pretty sure they do but :rolleyes:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
Do you have a downward elbow on secondary?
What size is tank?
What return pump you using?
Is it the 16” synergy overflow?

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up building my own external overflow box that was bigger all around, and came all the way up to the top of the aquarium. That allowed me to run the water level much higher in the external box, which eliminated the waterflow sound, as well as providing more flood protection during startup.

OP
OP
trailblazur

trailblazur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
Do you have a downward elbow on secondary?
What size is tank?
What return pump you using?
Is it the 16” synergy overflow?
It’s the 16”

you mean the u-pipe? The manufacturer recommended taking the u-pipe off the secondary for some reason.

tank is 220 with 60 gallon sump

two nautilus dc pumps from reef breeders

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!

I had the pipe partially closed here with the gate valve.

I can open it to the point to where there’s a tiny trickle going down the secondary but I still hear it hit the bottom of the pipe lol.

the overflow box creator said about 15-20% of the flow needs to be going down the secondary so that has me confused.

any amount, a tiny trickle or 15%, going down the secondary causes some amount of noise.

The pipes are already 1.5” diameter.

Any other thoughts?
Just a trickle, just to the top. Like almost no flow at all.
Not sure how to say it.
How about a pic of mine.

16688891985351927056774948935690.jpg

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the tiny trickle is quite noisy in the pipe w the echo
My guess is the open top (no clue why they suggest against the U bend) and horizontal runs in the plumbing. It's not a flow concern, but open channel/Durso drains are quieter when they run straight to the sump. 45s or spaflex work fine. Has to do with how water moves through them. Same reason they get loud when you try to move too much water through them.
someone in another thread here recommended an enkamat for the inside of the weir??
That can help with the crashing sound, but it's something to maintain and a risk to clog imo

OP
OP
trailblazur

trailblazur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the open top (no clue why they suggest against the U bend) and horizontal runs in the plumbing. It's not a flow concern, but open channel/Durso drains are quieter when they run straight to the sump. 45s or spaflex work fine. Has to do with how water moves through them. Same reason they get loud when you try to move too much water through them.

That can help with the crashing sound, but it's something to maintain and a risk to clog imo
Thanks!!!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the 16”

you mean the u-pipe? The manufacturer recommended taking the u-pipe off the secondary for some reason.

tank is 220 with 60 gallon sump

two nautilus dc pumps from reef breeders
I have a 16” synergy on my 220 for about 13 years. I run at 1400 gph right now. That’s the highest i’v done on this tank over the years and notice after 6 months or so with build up on the weir slows flow and it gets noisy no matter what until I clean it. With that said think it could probably do 15-1600 gph before it gets noisy. Could easily trim/mod the weir to do more.
Agree that don’t understand while they recommend no u pipe on secondary. That no makie cents… maybe worried about air block but you could/should drill a 3/16 hole or something into the top of both primary and secondary u pipes, if they don’t already have a hole.
Also agree that the horizontal piece on secondary, as shown in your first pick, should be a straighter path. Maybe a 45 deg elbow instead of the 90 you have now. On the primpary the horizontal piece is not a noise problem.
You could easily see if it’s the weir or the plumbing that’s the maker of noise by removing it the weir

OP
OP
trailblazur

trailblazur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16” synergy on my 220 for about 13 years. I run at 1400 gph right now. That’s the highest i’v done on this tank over the years and notice after 6 months or so with build up on the weir slows flow and it gets noisy no matter what until I clean it. With that said think it could probably do 15-1600 gph before it gets noisy. Could easily trim/mod the weir to do more.
Agree that don’t understand while they recommend no u pipe on secondary. That no makie cents… maybe worried about air block but you could/should drill a 3/16 hole or something into the top of both primary and secondary u pipes, if they don’t already have a hole.
Also agree that the horizontal piece on secondary, as shown in your first pick, should be a straighter path. Maybe a 45 deg elbow instead of the 90 you have now. On the primpary the horizontal piece is not a noise problem.
You could easily see if it’s the weir or the plumbing that’s the maker of noise by removing it the weir
Thanks. What sizes do you have you pipes cut to inside the box?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back