Bean Animal Not purging air please help

Shawn7854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is 50 lowboy first start today it was fine I turned off the return pump restarted and didnt want to purge air. Can someone help me know why?

Siphon primary is the lowest in overflow, drain in sump is less than 1” deep, even when I had it 2” deep it worked but on restart it didnt purge air so I switched to less than 1” on primary and secondary in the sump deep and still didnt purge air.

Return pump is eheim compact 1000.

Video if attachment dont work:

IMG_5267.jpeg IMG_5257.jpeg IMG_5256.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5333.mov
    29.5 MB

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I have found that if I throttle back the return pump just a little bit on start up, it’ll be enough to slowly purge the air and start the syphon better.

It’s a little easier with w DC pump but you could always throttle the Ehiem back a little. If you’re there at least.

OP
OP
S

Shawn7854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I have found that if I throttle back the return pump just a little bit on start up, it’ll be enough to slowly purge the air and start the syphon better.

It’s a little easier with w DC pump but you could always throttle the Ehiem back a little. If you’re there at least.
Why does this happen?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a 1/4 or so hole in the discharge pipe, just at or above the water line in the sump. This will allow any trapped air to purge without having to be pushed out of the pipe. At lower flow/velocity there is sometime not enough force to quickly clear the pipe.

In either case it can take a few minutes to fully purge and stabilize, again depending on pipe size and overall flow rate.

OP
OP
S

Shawn7854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a 1/4 or so hole in the discharge pipe, just at or above the water line in the sump. This will allow any trapped air to purge without having to be pushed out of the pipe. At lower flow/velocity there is sometime not enough force to quickly clear the pipe.

In either case it can take a few minutes to fully purge and stabilize, again depending on pipe size and overall flow rate.
Oh wow this should work 100% right? I realized when I put my hand under the siphon drain its maybe pushing it up by like 0.12inch lol it helped cleared it. Maybe all the turns in the plumbing and low flow

OP
OP
S

Shawn7854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do I do this for both primary and secondary?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back