this some of what i found
but what is the best one to do ?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will all work. The layout depends on how much room you have in the overflow box and behind your tank

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all work. My last couple of tanks had just a durso and an emergency drain and it was sometimes difficult to get the durso to run quietly. In my current build (which has only been running for 2 months) has one like the Marine Depot drawing. It's east to tune with the gate valve (way better for this application than a ball valve) and the durso vent.

I tested the weir and drainage so it would work at 100% of what the return pump could push. I had to enlarge the holes in the weir more than I expected. But now the system runs at 2300 gph on a 90g tank.

20191125_170220.jpg

20200118_160241.jpg

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all work. My last couple of tanks had just a durso and an emergency drain and it was sometimes difficult to get the durso to run quietly. In my current build (which has only been running for 2 months) has one like the Marine Depot drawing. It's east to tune with the gate valve (way better for this application than a ball valve) and the durso vent.

I tested the weir and drainage so it would work at 100% of what the return pump could push. I had to enlarge the holes in the weir more than I expected. But now the system runs at 2300 gph on a 90g tank.

20191125_170220.jpg

20200118_160241.jpg

ok great
and no noise at all ?
the one with the white net is the main drain
black emergency
and U secondary right ?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no airline needed ?

Ron probably drilled a hole in the top of the secondary to allow air to enter that tube. The vent (airline or hole) is there to prevent the secondary from going full siphon under normal conditions. If the water rises too high, the vent is closed (by the water), the secondary goes full siphon to flush the overflow box, and things go back to normal (hopefully). Without the vent, it would constantly flush the water from the overflow box.

All the solutions would work just fine. As another member posted, it's largely a matter of what you can fit in the overflow that determines the configuration. This is mine; the center u-tube (primary) has been removed now (simplifies maintenance). Been running great for over three years now.

48716181703_f785f1d562_b.jpg

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron probably drilled a hole in the top of the secondary to allow air to enter that tube. The vent (airline or hole) is there to prevent the secondary from going full siphon under normal conditions. If the water rises too high, the vent is closed (by the water), the secondary goes full siphon to flush the overflow box, and things go back to normal (hopefully). Without the vent, it would constantly flush the water from the overflow box.

ok nice
i did sample one
is this good
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 4.39.06 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 4.39.05 PM.jpeg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your emergency looks like it may be a bit high. The water level in the overflow usually seems to end up about mid-way across the secondary tubes elbow. Typically, you set that height to whatever produces the least amount of noise from the water entering the overflow (the cascading water from the display). Once you get that height where you want it, you set the emergency line's height just above that (ideally an inch or more below the height of the box so the box doesnt overflow before all the lines can flush it).

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your emergency looks like it may be a bit high. The water level in the overflow usually seems to end up about mid-way across the secondary tubes elbow. Typically, you set that height to whatever produces the least amount of noise from the water entering the overflow (the cascading water from the display). Once you get that height where you want it, you set the emergency line's height just above that (ideally an inch or more below the height of the box so the box doesnt overflow before all the lines can flush it).
oky i will change it now and show you last results
one of my big problem i used to big pvc its 50mm around (2inch) for small tank ;Dead
this won't effect any thing right ?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

All the solutions would work just fine. As another member posted, it's largely a matter of what you can fit in the overflow that determines the configuration. This is mine; the center u-tube (primary) has been removed now (simplifies maintenance). Been running great for over three years now.

48716181703_f785f1d562_b.jpg

Great input! Where did you get the airline fitting that attaches the airline to the PVC?

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you only need one gate valve on the main drain. You don't need one on the drain with air tube as you will want full siphon if your overflow rises to the air tube. Same on the emergency drain, you want full drain in an emergency! Save yourself some money or buy one high quality valve. ;)

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you only need one gate valve on the main drain. You don't need one on the drain with air tube as you will want full siphon if your overflow rises to the air tube. Same on the emergency drain, you want full drain in an emergency! Save yourself some money or buy one high quality valve. ;)
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 5.06.46 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 5.06.45 PM.jpeg

already have it
but i will keep it for future projects
its very good quality made in Italy

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't "need" the airline. My bean animal has a 1 1/2" U trap for the secondary drain. I just drilled a hole in it that gets covered when the water rises.

Capture.PNG

I underestimated the difficulty in tuning the location and size of that hole and had to enlarge the hole several times as well as cut down the drain pipe length several times to get it to work correctly. Once set, its worked flawlessly.

If I was to do it again, I would use two 90 elbows and drill a hole in the pipe between the elbows. Then you can just rotate that piece of pipe to adjust the height of the drain hole.

Capture.PNG

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 5.06.46 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 5.06.45 PM.jpeg

already have it
but i will keep it for future projects
its very good quality made in Italy

No, that’s not a gate valve. That is a ball valve and is very hard to use for fine adjustments. Those are best for on/off situations. A gate valve will have a round handle and requires many full turns to go from open to closed. Trust me, you do NOT want to try using that on this type of setup.

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that’s not a gate valve. That is a ball valve and is very hard to use for fine adjustments. Those are best for on/off situations. A gate valve will have a round handle and requires many full turns to go from open to closed. Trust me, you do NOT want to try using that on this type of setup.

i did not find it locally i will use this for now and then i will change it
i will use union to make it easier

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great input! Where did you get the airline fitting that attaches the airline to the PVC?

I found the fitting at Lowes and used a tap/die set I already had to thread the PVC (you can get cheap ones at Harbor Frieght that work fine for this).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back