Bean Animal plumbing question

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, was hoping for some plumbing advice for my 280 gallon tank. I have an external overflow with 3x 1.25” bulkheads so I was going to run a bean animal setup. However, my sump has 1” drains. In order to connect these I would need a reducer. Would it be best to have the reducer closer to the sump or closer to the overflow? Also, does it matter where the gate valve on the siphon drain goes? I’m guessing closer to the sump would be best for access right?

thanks ahead

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think reducing the flow prior to it entering the sump = reducing the flow prior to it entering the sump, so it pretty much wouldn't matter; choose a spot most convenient. That being said, I wouldn't put the reducer so high up the pipe (i.e., so close to the overflow) that gravity can't do as good as a job. Kind of the same for the siphon valve-- where it is most convenient.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer to the sump with the valve is correct.
On a new build I would make the sump holes bigger to accommodate the larger piping.
Cool, that’s kind of what I figured. Thank you.

I think reducing the flow prior to it entering the sump = reducing the flow prior to it entering the sump, so it pretty much wouldn't matter; choose a spot most convenient. That being said, I wouldn't put the reducer so high up the pipe (i.e., so close to the overflow) that gravity can't do as good as a job. Kind of the same for the siphon valve-- where it is most convenient.
Makes sense. Thank you.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8E60D349-88D0-475F-99C6-AF60021D2D0D.jpeg

It’s funny that you should ask, because on my current build (dual 150 gallon tanks) I have both the reducer and the valve on the outside— but I have adequate room to walk back there if I need to tweak a valve now and then. Lol.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8E60D349-88D0-475F-99C6-AF60021D2D0D.jpeg

It’s funny that you should ask, because on my current build (dual 150 gallon tanks) I have both the reducer and the valve on the outside— but I have adequate room to walk back there if I need to tweak a valve now and then. Lol.
Haha! I definitely don’t have that much room behind the tank, but your picture helps me visualize how this will work. Thank you for adding that.

Back