Beat dinos for now...whats next?

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those who havent seen my last post, ill summarize briefly. So i had been running my 32 gallon biocube nano reef successfully for about 6 months which is my first reef tank before I ran into a dino issue. My nitrate and phosphate had both bottomed out so i started dosing neophos and neonitro directly to the tank with no success at all. I also tried a blackout along with dr tims waste away which also did not work. So to make a long story short I had run out of ideas and felt pretty defeated. I was feeling pretty bummed and that all my work that went into the tank was for nothing. The tank continued to get worse for weeks and i am not proud to say i became pretty neglectful. I had stopped doing water changer and trying to maintain the tank. I still fed the fish but the quality of the tank got really bad. So after a few months the water in the tank became green and cloudy and I could barely see a thing. So about a week ago i purchased the green killing machine uv sterilizer to try to clear up the water and its been working great. It has been running for a little over a week and the water is almost crystal clear and even more amazing...NO DINOS anywhere in the tank from what i can see. I checked my parameters yesterday and my nitrates were at 1.95 and phosphate was at .07. While i am extremely happy the dinos are gone, I lost 2 of my fish and the only frag i had in the tank which i am very upset about. So finally, my question is should I wait a bit to start restocking the tank or should I try to increase the bioload to keep my nitrates and phosphates up to avoid another outbreak. I really want to go about my next steps the right way, I feel reinvigorated about my tank and the hobby again and want to succeed. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this and respond.

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep doing what your doing now and if dinos come back you'll know what to do!
Do you think its a good time to start restocking the tank though? My parameters look pretty good.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think its a good time to start restocking the tank though? My parameters look pretty good.
I know that feeling , but to be on the safe side wait a bit until you are confident that everything is doing good and that it wont come back anytime soon .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back