Becca's Boudoir Build

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build starts with a disaster.

For about three years I nursed a JBJ 45 Rimless reef tank. I had customized the heck out of the filtration / lighting / dosing and had it dialed in perfectly. Placed along our second floor hallway outside the kids rooms in our new home, it was a frequent gathering spot to plop down on the floor and watch the corals and fish. "I LOVE this tank," local reefers would hear me say frequently. Say what you want about AIO... but when they're done right they work beautifully with minimal fuss.

E71F47FD-C9B1-4EDB-A795-08027109FF24.jpeg

(Not the best picture or the most representative of what was in there at the time but wanted to give an idea of location and this was the best I had on hand)

I was never happy with the stand though. The JBJ stand was particle board, held together with those turn locks... it looked fine from a distance but up close it was just another cheaply made stand and after three years I started to get concerned about its stability.

Locally, we have an amazing woodworker that also builds aquarium stands in his spare time. I reached out to him and contracted to have a new, furniture grade stand built. No hurry, I said.

About 4-6 weeks later my husband and I picked up the stand on Sunday morning. I elected to not have him finish out the stand as I wanted to do that myself. We loaded it up, brought it home and carried it to the basement for painting. That'll be a good project for next weekend I said.

IMG_0956.jpeg

The next morning, I was pouring my morning coffee and heard a gun shot! BAMN! ...I turned quickly and saw a flood pouring over the balcony into our newly refinished family room & kitchen, and from there down the basement steps. Rushing upstairs I saw what happened. The "gun shot" was a sudden failure of the glass... a gash up the side of it. SCREAMING for my husband we moved fast... but 45 gallons pouring rapidly down two levels of your home is pretty much impossible to contain.

We worked rapidly to transfer the fish, corals, and inverts to three buckets I had on hand (and from there to the LFS) and vacuum up what we could with a shop vac. We called the insurance company and Servpro (who came out immediately) and our home was torn to bits to dry it out. Walls, ceilings, moldings (including the GORGEOUS new crown in part of the kitchen), floorings.. they followed the water and tore out everything.

IMG_0702.jpeg

Ten days of industrial fans later Servpro left our home. Dry, but considerably damaged. Thankfully, we have insurance... but the emotional hit of losing that well-cared for tank so abruptly and seeing our beautiful home destroyed hit me hard.

I learned some valuable lessons through this experience though.

1) Placing 45 gallons of water on the second floor of a home is probably not wise
2) Rimless/Trimless aquariums are inherently more prone to disaster (that's just simple physics).
3) Aquariums with curved edges are inherently more prone to disaster (again, simple physics as that curvature is simply a purposeful weakening of the glass)
4) A cheap stand will almost certainly lead to disaster. DO NOT compromise a level, secure base for your tank
5) Test regularly for warning signs. I don't know but suspect if I was testing the levelness of this tank routinely I probably would have observed a problem in advance of failure.

BUT... where there is disaster, there is always opportunity. This all happened back in May, and in the interim repairs have been made, dreams have turned into plans and many, many orders have been placed (BRSTV is an expensive influencer).

I'm building my dream tank... this time in my home office (my boudoir) which hovers over unfinished space in the basement. I'll be making use of the stand I had built but with a much nicer (and larger volume) custom built tank tank. No compromises, built to be my "forever" tank (or at least my first one).

Part 2: Down, but not out.

Last edited:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that stand! What size is the new tank gonna be?
I had one built custom as well after my tank cracked one night. What a nightmare that was waking up to the sound of a waterfall, but at least mine was on first floor.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!!

OP
OP
BeccaBits

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part 2: Down, but not out.

(Click here for Part 1: This build starts with a disaster.)

Tank lost, home in shambles with workmen here every day, corals & fish re-homed safely... and a beautifully made custom stand staring at me as if to say, "What now?"

By this point, it's mid-June 2020 and I've been working at home daily in this disaster for about a month (thanks Covid). The drywall guys have finished up and the insurance company sent us a nice check. Since we were able to do the molding & painting work ourselves there's wasn't much of a financial hit. Plus, we hadn't yet started the planned basement remodel... so if anything maybe we came out a little ahead (though I had trouble convincing my husband of that).

Due to Covid, I had spent MONTHS watching YouTube videos... mostly BRSTV and their wonderful 52-weeks of reefing series but lots of other channels as well. I had learned more about the hobby in the last 4 months than I had in the prior 30-ish years of having saltwater tanks.

...and I kept looking at that stand. The trouble with it was that it was built very specifically hold a JBJ 45 Rimless, which as a bit of a unique footprint (26.5" x 19.5") and there was NO WAY I was going to buy another one of those.

However, the guy that built the stand actually increased the footprint a bit so that it would look right proportionally... so I had a 27" x 21.5" footprint to work with.

My LFS (who I knew very well) was also a Planet Aquariums dealer... so I started to float the idea of building a custom tank for my custom stand (clearly not paying attention to the "sunk cost" lesson in Economics 101).

Planet Aquariums has an online configurator so I started playing around with it.... and then I had a cool idea. What if the tank was 27" tall as well as wide? That would give me a "full frame" extra tall front... lots of space to work with. Since the stand was 36", that'd bring the top edge of the tank up to eye level for me (I'm pretty tall).

PLUS, I could go a full 21" deep... and if I used a sump instead of AIO I'd have SO MUCH MORE volume to work with. Going with a ulta-slim overflow would also give me more space and remove a common eyesore (traditional overflow).

I was still skittish about another aquarium disaster, so I made the executive decision to make this tank as bulletproof as possible and do everything as nicely as could reasonably be done.

I ran my idea by the guy that built the stand and he was confident it would hold the weight... so here's what I ended up ordering from Planet Aquariums through my LFS:

27" x 27" x 21.5" (Glass ended up about 7/16" thick!)
Full Frame (Black) Top & Bottom
Black Vinyl Background
Black Silicone
Pre-Drilled for Ultra-Slim Tideline Overflow Box (Set up for Bean Animal)
3/4" Return Pre-Drilled
PVC Bottom (Super excited about this part)

I ended up going with traditional glass instead of low-iron (which was my initial choice). My LFS talked me out of low-iron, saying it was was more expensive but the trade-off was it was a little less durable "in their experience." They said they noticed a greater incidence of chipped glass with low-iron, and they knew that'd bother me to no end if it ever happened to me. Plus, they showed me a side by side comparison with two tanks in their store. With the black silicone, black back, etc I was very unlikely to notice a difference and they were really right.

As an aside, now that I have the tank (pics in a future post) I'm glad I went with traditional glass. It feels like the right decision and the green edge is hardly noticeable, and kind of cool actually against the black silicone when you do notice it.

...all told, it added up to a pretty expensive tank. If I was to do another aquarium though I wanted to minimize risk and I wanted it to last a really long time.

Due to Covid, it was going to be a 6-8 week wait for the tank.... but that was OK because I suddenly had a lot to figure out. The stand wasn't designed with an overflow in mind and still needed to be finished out.

IMG_0960.jpeg
IMG_0961.jpeg
IMG_0962.jpeg
IMG_0958.jpeg

An overflow meant a sump and plumbing, which I had ZERO experience with (that's an important note for a future post). Skimmer, return pump, reactors, Refugium (or not?)... all decisions that needed to be made while ensuring everything would work well together AND fit together, space was suddenly at a real premium and I was not going to compromise with this tank.

I was going to have to get creative.

Part 3: Clock's ticking...

Last edited:

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean animal is the way to go for sure. I have that setup on my build paired with a Fiji cube slim overflow and jebao dcp return and the setup is bulletproof and pretty much silent.

Just make sure the overflow teeth don't get too clogged up. I let mine and I noticed the water level was almost over the ledge of the rim. I quickly scrubbed the blockage and whoosh the emergency overflow engaged all the extra water that rushed in.

In essence, you can't go wrong with a properly tuned bean animal.

OP
OP
BeccaBits

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Sorry to hear about your disaster. Following along to see where this ends up. Seems like you are putting a lot of thought into this new tank.

"Overthinking" is a bit of a specialty for me ;-) Honestly I can't wait to write the rest of this story. I'm pacing myself at one update a week... but I'm three months further into the story so there's much, much more left to write about.

OP
OP
BeccaBits

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean animal is the way to go for sure. I have that setup on my build paired with a Fiji cube slim overflow and jebao dcp return and the setup is bulletproof and pretty much silent.

Just make sure the overflow teeth don't get too clogged up. I let mine and I noticed the water level was almost over the ledge of the rim. I quickly scrubbed the blockage and whoosh the emergency overflow engaged all the extra water that rushed in.

In essence, you can't go wrong with a properly tuned bean animal.

Thanks for the tip on keeping the teeth clean, I hadn't thought of that.

My LFS actually tried to talk me out of a bean animal, they said they normally don't do them but then I figure many of their customers for tank builds are probably not interested in doing a lot of the work themselves. I love keeping busy and learning new things, so I was willing to tackle it. 2-3 updates from now I'll have lots of photos as to how the plumbing ended up... I'm super happy with it.

YouTube is amazing, I'd never done plumbing before but it really turned out nice and having been through a disaster, the peace of mind is priceless. PLUS, having done it myself I know the plumbing through-and-through now and can fix any problems that come up.

OP
OP
BeccaBits

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part 3: Clock's ticking...

(Click here for Part 2: Down, but not out.)

With super-tank ordered from Planet Aquariums, I had just 4-6 weeks to finish out that stand but also figure out how I was going to shoe-horn in a sump. Initially, I was pretty discouraged and started to entertain the idea of placing a sump in the unfinished part of the basement. How the heck was I going to fit a sump in there?

Inside the stand was a REALLY nicely made drawer as well as a thoughtfully placed mounting board along one edge. They were features added when the goal was an AIO, but now that I was going with a sump I simply didn't have the room to leave them in.

IMG_0959.jpeg

Additionally, the doors for the stand were recessed, which meant really robust soft close hardware that was in the way as well.

I removed the drawer, it's hardware, and the mounting board along the right-hand side. FINALLY I felt like I had some real space to work with. Looking at all my options though, there was really no way to do anything about the hardware for the doors. They were going to have to stay and I'd need to work around them.

IMG_1291.jpeg

With the space I had to work with, a Planet Aquariums' sump simply wasn't going to fit... and at that point, my LFS kind of backed away as I was way, way outside their comfort zone. Here I was, a relative novice, putting a custom tank on a custom stand it wasn't meant for... and now integrating a third-party sump that neither the tank nor stand were meant for.

Fortunately, I'm adventurous.

I measured everything and thought through the plumbing (Bean Animal, which my LFS also had no experience with). I looked at EVERY sump on multiple web sites and even thought about trying to have one custom made. Custom made though meant waiting longer and I wasn't sure I would gain much by going that route, at least not with this tank.

FINALLY, I landed upon FijiCube, and their FIJI-20 Advanced Reef Sump (2nd Gen). The dimensions couldn't have been more perfect. Though it was only designed with two inlets, I read a review where the reefer had dropped the emergency drain into the skimmer area. It was out-of-stock though (stupid Covid), so I started stalking BRS and waiting for it to show back up.

In the meantime, I had a stand to finish out. I thought about staining it but I had ZERO experience with staining and really wanted it to look super nice. I experimented with stain layering on the door and that mounting board I removed. It turned out disastrous. That simply wasn't going to work out the way I hoped.

I was however VERY experienced with painting crown molding (we did a lot of the remodeling ourselves). I had done a lot of research previously and knew how to finish out molding to a degree that it nearly looks like porcelain when you're done. It takes four coats (two of primer, two of an a high-quality oil-based paint, and light sanding between coats) but WOW does it look sharp when you're done.

So, I stuck with what I knew and finished the whole thing out. It turned out GORGEOUS.

IMG_1155.jpeg

For the inside, I used three coats Rust-Oleum's Marine SPAR varnish EVERYWHERE. That gave it a tough, durable coat on the inside that would stand up to spills and inevitable salt spray. I also sealed the lower seems with silicone so that if there was ever a spill, water would go out the front instead of down below the stand.

During this time the sump arrived from BRS and it fit PERFECTLY. I could get it in without removing the back by getting it in through the doors long ways, and then rotating it into place.

IMG_1159.jpeg

So much to be excited about now!!! The stand is finished out, the sump has arrived and fits, the house is nearly back together post-disaster, and the tank arrives any day...

Part 4: The tank is a TANK!

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent work on the painting and sealing! It looks fantastic!

OP
OP
BeccaBits

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part 4: The tank is a TANK!

(Click here for Part 3: Clock’s ticking...)

Despite Covid’s best efforts, the bespoke aquarium from Planet Aquariums arrived at my local fish store. While they offered to deliver and help with set up, they didn’t have any experience with a bean animal overflow or my sump. Plus, what I wanted was a fair bit outside their comfort zone. I didn’t just want it plumbed... I wanted to do something special. Pragmatically, I was really on my own.

IMMEDIATELY upon seeing the tank I knew I had done the right thing. The thick 7/16” glass, heavy black silicone, PVC bottom, and quality top/bottom rims gave me a lot of confidence that this tank would outlast me. Plus, that 27” x 27” front profile was to die for. Sticks are going to look great in there.

Getting it home, we moved the stand up to my office and plopped the tank on it. DAAAAANNNNGG!!! It’s gorgeous :)

52F987DF-665E-4A6A-A78B-61EFD5C0AECB.jpeg

The possibilities just ran through my head super fast. I had a plan, and I couldn’t order plumbing parts from BRS fast enough... pipe and elbows and unions OH MY! Sure, I had no real experience plumbing up a tank... but I’m good at planning, kinda fearless, and patient. All of that plus YouTube and I had developed a healthy dose of confidence.

I mapped out how I wanted each plumbing run to go, and started off with the return, then the emergency, primary, and secondary in that order. Basically going from easiest to hardest... and it turned out beautifully!

86A776AF-8991-42DA-B722-0A1CA70036B0.jpeg
937A2202-F8B2-47FF-9ECE-B5F9F90C5E27.jpeg
45392932-5831-424C-A860-02C46FC4CA50.jpeg
A69BA232-412E-4EA6-80D6-7A0A77BB1CA1.jpeg
73AD79B6-8C0E-4FC9-A272-94771E8EB282.jpeg
4090A60C-73D0-4489-95C4-1F040A6BD42A.jpeg
ADFF7B54-5B96-4ABB-B1F9-9C28A65188DC.jpeg

I couldn’t fill it up with RODI fast enough. I thought about just using tap water at first, but I’m typically overconfident so I went straight to RODI. PLUS, even if I needed to redo a part I wasn’t going to have to empty the whole tank.

That confidence proved itself out though because, but for the bulkheads needing a bit of tightening, everything held up well.

I wasn’t too thrilled with my old Tunze AC pump though. It managed the water and flow OK, but it was just too noisy (especially being located in my home office)... and the overflow was DEFINITELY going to need tuning because it was simply too loud. I got the gurgling tuned out of it but the splashing was like a water fall. Nice to fall asleep too... but simply wouldn’t work for my office.

With the stand and tank in place, and running water through it and the sump with confidence, it was time to plan out the electrical, pumps, skimmer, other filtration and figure out how to quiet it down!

Much more to come!!!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back