Beckett Skimmers

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody out there still using Beckett skimmers? Why would you use a Beckett instead of a needle wheel skimmer? Anyone try pairing the new Sicce SDC 9.0 pump with a Beckett skimmer?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always preferred AquaC's or ETSS's since the becket skimmers were a pain to clean. Too many thumbscrews and too many parts that clog up too quickly.

I take it you have one you're trying to repurpose? If you can't sell it, that's a good idea. Otherwise I'd sell it for one of the above skimmers. AquaC's come up used every so often. ETSS's seem to be rare.

OP
OP
FirstContact

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about trying to find a Precision Marine Bullet skimmer for a 100g QT tank. It's external and the QT tank is sumpless.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about trying to find a Precision Marine Bullet skimmer for a 100g QT tank. It's external and the QT tank is sumpless.

Seems like you'd want an in-tank skimmer for that, a la:

Comline® DOC Skimmer 9012

Recommended, depending on tank load, from 200 to 1,200 liters (53 to 317 USgal.) of sea water. Imme... mehr

300.76 USD

spacer.gif

Comline® DOC Skimmer 9012 DC

Recommended, depending on tank load, from 200 to 1,400 liters (53 to 370 USgal.) of sea water. Imme... mehr

373.55 USD

That said, here's what PM's website says:

So maybe call em?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ran a Beckett back in 97-2001. Loved everything about it but the noise. I am running a reef octopus for now but am considering a few dc powered skimmers to replace it with

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the MTC HSA1000 for many years; probably still would had I not cleverly crushed it. I now run the MTC PowerPro which uses mazzei injectors.

Strictly speaking, the needle wheel isn’t the injector - they all use venturi as well. I’ve often wondered whether putting a needle wheel impeller on my skimmer would enhance performance?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Precision Marine XL4 - 6 Foot Tall and love it, if your prefilter, almost no cleaning. Dual Beckette rated t 1500 gallons, I have 850 gallons
IMG_3090.jpg
My next display will need something like this. Plans are to run as much of the electric off solar, and use solar tubes augmented with leds.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a dual Beckett MRC for many years. It was a great skimmer, but constantly needed adjusting and the pressure rated pumps were just electric eaters. IMO the newer skimmers are more energy efficient with a lot less adjusting. I’m currently running a Vertex and it works just as well.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ppl don’t run them because you have to run a big pump, which everyone is going towards power savings now. It does bring up orp and possibly ph. Do not run a needle wheel pump on a becket, needle wheel is for no big head pressure, Becket is all pressure.

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a Beckett skimmer since 2004. It is a MRC-1 powered by an old Gen X 40 pressure pump throttled back to about 700 gph. I have to clean the skimmer twice a week and the Beckett head twice a month. The pump is loud however it is in the basement with the sump. I run the skimmer external to the sump and it discharges 1" above the sumps water level therefore it very rarely needs adjusting,

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not run a needle wheel pump on a becket, needle wheel is for no big head pressure, Becket is all pressure.

I was musing about converting the impeller on my pressure pump to a needle wheel; however, I agree that proabbly would ******** up the pump.

Joe Grubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Bullett 3 for many years, upgraded to the improved Becket ventures as improvements came long. Worked well. When I changed it out for a re-circ skimmer (improved the ozone utilization) the reefer I passed the Bullett 3 to, has set it up with a new pump and is enjoying the benefits of a very good skimmer at a great price.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a PM Bullet2. Skimmed great, but there are downsides. Cost: Even then, it cost as much WITHOUT a pump as other skimmers of the day cost WITH one. Noise: Yeah, it sounded like a jet engine warming up. The Iwaki pump I was using was power hungry, and the whole skimmer system took up a tremendous amount of space.

Today? I don't know why anyone would want one, on anything like a 'normal' aquarium. I'm running a Vertex. Yeah, they're pricey, but it skims every bit as well as my old Bullet, requires way less space, less power, and its nearly silent.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back