Beefing up premixed saltwater

dmcoates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,
I have a 100 gallon mixed reef heavy on sps, the tank is mostly automated. I auto water change about 1-1/2 gallons per day and use kalkwasser in my auto top off. I am using the max amount of kalk 2 teaspoons per gallon.
The tank is burning thought alkalinity and I am having a hard time keeping the DkH above 7.5. I know it's time to upgrade to a dosing pump.

I was think until I get a dosing pump can I beef up my premixed saltwater with soda ash and calcium cloride to help keep levels in the display right without precipitating out calcium.

I am using reef crystals now. I had to swap over from RS coral pro when amazon stopped shipping.

Thanks

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,
I have a 100 gallon mixed reef heavy on sps, the tank is mostly automated. I auto water change about 1-1/2 gallons per day and use kalkwasser in my auto top off. I am using the max amount of kalk 2 teaspoons per gallon.
The tank is burning thought alkalinity and I am having a hard time keeping the DkH above 7.5. I know it's time to upgrade to a dosing pump.

I was think until I get a dosing pump can I beef up my premixed saltwater with soda ash and calcium cloride to help keep levels in the display right without precipitating out calcium.

I am using reef crystals now. I had to swap over from RS coral pro when amazon stopped shipping.

Thanks

Besides the DkH at 7.5 (which I don't think constitutes a problem) what other observations indicate there is a problem to be solved?

OP
OP
dmcoates

dmcoates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having to manually dose soda ash a few times a week to maintain that 7.5 and ph slips to 7.7 at night as well. I just ordered a dosing pump so I should be good.

Any idea how much to start with when dosing 2 part?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar size tank with a sizable bioload and was having identical problems including frustratingly low alkalinity and pH swings that I didn't like, despite manual dosing. As I eventually came to realize with the help of a certain reef chemist, I absolutely must have been having a great deal of invisible abiotic calcium carbonate precipitation in tank (you probably are too), even though I was manually dosing the 2 part components at different times and locations. Plus it was a pain in the butt dosing all the time.

Getting an automatic doser literally solved all the issues I was having with alk and pH. Every tank is different, but I'm using 59 ml/day each of Reef Fusion 1 & 2, which keeps my alk around 9 and my calcium around 450, pH has a diurnal cycle between 8.05 and 8.2. Even though it's present in RF1, I do sometimes need to add a bit of supplemental magnesium, which I just dose manually based on twice weekly testing.

Another thing - I don't know if you noticed that the alk level of Reef Crystals, although high at 10-10.5, is still considerably lower than that of Coral Pro at 12-12.5. So your salt switch isn't doing you any favors.

Last edited:

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on what you are using. Each one has its own formula, but you should be able to find something like "x ml raises the alk 1 dkh per 10 gal" on the bottle. BRS has a handy online calculator to avoid math problems. You should know by now how much you are raising it (ie 1 dkh 3 times per week) with the soda ash on a weekly basis. Just start with that amount divided by 7 daily, then start testing daily to make sure you are on track. In about a week you should be dialed in pretty close.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having to manually dose soda ash a few times a week to maintain that 7.5 and ph slips to 7.7 at night as well. I just ordered a dosing pump so I should be good.

If you make the two part using sodium carbonate (soda ash), then you'll be dosing the same amount as before. :)

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What happens if you stop dosing for a week or so?

I'm guessing growth slows down and the system starts to approach a sense of stability and equilibrium. I'm not recommending that stop additions long-term. I'm wondering if the system will stabilize so that you can begin to slowly increase your additions once you obtain your dosing pump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back