Been out of the hobby for 15+ years

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have to say, I am really impressed. It actually feels familiar...looks a lot like a forum that was "central" to the hobby back in the day. (This seems much more streamlined tho!)

I was invited to introduce myself so, here goes...

I was very active in they hobby for several years but gave it up for a few reasons back in 2005. I really enjoyed the hobby but lack of time, money and space kept me from expanding the way I wanted to. I had a beautiful 75g SPS reef that was well established. Long story short, it crashed and I decided to take a break. I sold off all my stuff and put the money towards a down payment on a house.

So I recently inherited a 15gal nano reef. I was reluctant to take it at first but it belonged to a friend of mine who suddenly passed away and his family was ready to throw it out. I couldn't let that happen! It was neglected for a while and the transfer was rushed so I ended up stirring up all kinds of.... stuff.... from the bottom which resulted in an ammonia spike that was off the charts.

That was about a month ago. The tank is doing better. The zoas have opened up and are regaining their color. I had to get reinforcements for the cuc and they are now fighting a cyano outbreak.

Having to take care of this tank and watching it improve has re-ignited my interest in the hobby. As much as I would love to get a larger sized reef, this nano will suffice for now. I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and further improving this nano.

~Jason

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have to say, I am really impressed. It actually feels familiar...looks a lot like a forum that was "central" to the hobby back in the day. (This seems much more streamlined tho!)

I was invited to introduce myself so, here goes...

I was very active in they hobby for several years but gave it up for a few reasons back in 2005. I really enjoyed the hobby but lack of time, money and space kept me from expanding the way I wanted to. I had a beautiful 75g SPS reef that was well established. Long story short, it crashed and I decided to take a break. I sold off all my stuff and put the money towards a down payment on a house.

So I recently inherited a 15gal nano reef. I was reluctant to take it at first but it belonged to a friend of mine who suddenly passed away and his family was ready to throw it out. I couldn't let that happen! It was neglected for a while and the transfer was rushed so I ended up stirring up all kinds of.... stuff.... from the bottom which resulted in an ammonia spike that was off the charts.

That was about a month ago. The tank is doing better. The zoas have opened up and are regaining their color. I had to get reinforcements for the cuc and they are now fighting a cyano outbreak.

Having to take care of this tank and watching it improve has re-ignited my interest in the hobby. As much as I would love to get a larger sized reef, this nano will suffice for now. I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and further improving this nano.

~Jason
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back