OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d run some carbon, and stop doing lots of drastic waterchanges, it sounds like you’ve probably done plenty.

Might be easiest to catch the tang at night, with a small net and a flashlight. You blind him with the flashlight and scoop him up. It might take a few tries. If that doesn’t work, I highly recommend getting a trap, it will be useful in the future.

FWIW I doubt the Reeses Peanut Butter cup is the culprit. Who knows what they did though.

Running a “Poly Filter” might be helpful they absorb all kinds of stuff.
I have not tried the flashlight thing. I’ll try that tonight.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i have been following your multiple posts on starting with SPS, etc. You really have been super diligent with everything. I am in the same boat with trying SPS for the first time and definitely have not been as diligent as you have been. I'm sorry you are having all of these issues.

I am speaking up because of your tang issue. My lieutenant tang went through the same thing yours is a while back. I woke up one morning and it was insane. His fins were all torn up and it was scratching like crazy. Catching him and taking down the scape was not an option for me. I didn't know what else to do so I added ruby reef rally just to give it some possible relief from infection from the scratches. I really thought it was a goner. However, as soon as I added the rally, it calmed down a bit and was able to heal. Since then it's fully recovered with fins all regrown. Still don't know the culprit of what happened. My suspicion of allergy to food has not been supported by the experts. Either way, I don't feed that type of food anymore and it hasn't happened again since but I digress.....

Best of luck! Will continue to follow.
Thank you for that! You Rock : )

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah, problem solved, sort of... he is out now. He passed in the night : ( I am going to wait a few weeks to ensure my water is good... do another ICP test and restock some fish.

You should consider running a polyfilter as well, the reason being is that an ICP test will not show you any kind of organic contamination. It will only show you the elements that they test for. Heavy metals etc. while those are a possibility, there’s a whole world of organic contaminants that could very well be responsible for your fish deaths. Sorry to hear about your tang.

How are your corals looking?

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider running a polyfilter as well, the reason being is that an ICP test will not show you any kind of organic contamination. It will only show you the elements that they test for. Heavy metals etc. while those are a possibility, there’s a whole world of organic contaminants that could very well be responsible for your fish deaths. Sorry to hear about your tang.

How are your corals looking?
My softies and anemones are all doing fine... they did struggle for a few days at first.

I did just order the poly-filter : ) I am going to do another water change today with a full vacuuming of the sand... clean all my pumps and power heads and then go back to business as usual after.

I did read where the poly-filter will change to different colors based on what it is absorbing. I like that.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another clue if it helps... whatever did happen... it killed all the hair Algea in there that I was just about to have to start working on (I didn’t have very much... a couple of little patches)

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the troubles!

Are the kids likely to confess if you ask? Could emphasize "not in trouble" etc, just want to know what if anything was done so it can be fixed? Fingers crossed the polyfilter helps and this is the end of it already though!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the troubles!

Are the kids likely to confess if you ask? Could emphasize "not in trouble" etc, just want to know what if anything was done so it can be fixed? Fingers crossed the polyfilter helps and this is the end of it already though!
They are 10 and 12... I tried what you suggested already... they ain’t budging.. their mother already told them how many things died.

I will,say this... they did something. You can easily read the guilt on their faces when I ask them about it. If there is a silver lining... I don’t think they will ever do anything again.

I did find something odd in my cabinet today.... the corner of something... a packet. Like one of those little foil, plastic solution packets. It was torn off... I always use scissors. I have not figured out what is “missing” yet from my collection of reef tank supplies... the color of it doesn’t match anything I have : (

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear... my tank is cycling again... I don’t get it. I have actually run into this problem before... 17 years ago.

I am beginning to believe it is a mistake to start out with a bunch of live rock. I think I would have been better served by having a tank of water and then added the live rock later. That rock seems to be ....protecting my water at first... I don’t know...?

I still can’t skim... and when I try, it changes the surface tension of my water. My return pump starts sucking air... like when my tank was a month old.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no possible way is your cycle compromised, not happening. Your ammonia kit isn’t seneye, which is why it’s showing false alarm. Google shows your non seneye test kit causing ammonia alerts in ten thousand systems. Seneye? One or two misreads out of ten thousand. Opposite.

true ammonia issues kill your whole reef overnite nobody holds on weeks, disease is my bet if not a poisoning from additives but at least we can rule out bacteria and cycling issues. Your water would be opaque cloudy if nh3 was not under control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no possible way is your cycle compromised, not happening. Your ammonia kit isn’t seneye, which is why it’s showing false alarm. Google shows your non seneye test kit causing ammonia alerts in ten thousand systems. Seneye? One or two misreads out of ten thousand. Opposite.

true ammonia issues kill your whole reef overnite nobody holds on weeks, disease is my bet if not a poisoning from additives but at least we can rule out bacteria and cycling issues. Your water would be opaque cloudy if nh3 was not under control.
My water is clear... has been the whole time. My ICP test just came back “normal” no real difference from my last one. The “dying” phase of this seems to be over now at least. I did put a poly filer in today!

I still can’t skim...

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get thru this : ). It has been... very frustrating. I saw the look on my grandsons face... yes, there was a lot of guilt. There was also a lot of remorse. ...they killed Dory... they know they did. Here in another 10 years or so, I’ll find out exactly what they did.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get thru this : ). It has been... very frustrating. I saw the look on my grandsons face... yes, there was a lot of guilt. There was also a lot of remorse. ...they killed Dory... they know they did. Here in another 10 years or so, I’ll find out exactly what they did.
this sounds like one of those.....
"I don't know what happened. It was broke before I was born." moments.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back