Beer brewers check in

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the Spike Flex + buckets which are AMAZING but freaking expensive for a fermenter. They're not lying, though -- the equipment will outlast your liver. Those guys are making art with stainless steel. It also helps that they're local (MKE). I have some older glass big mouth bubblers and some newer plastic ones but the Flexes beat out everything. Once you get used to pressurized fermentation with tri-clamp everything, including a rotating racking arm, it's very hard to go back. The only issue I have with them is that with the full butterfly valve and racking arm in place, it's near impossible to get them into my keezer to cold crash them. I want to get one of their bigger conicals to do 10-15 gallon batches but the fully electric basement brewery has to be finished before I can justify it, as I am NOT carrying one of those up and down stairs.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something i have been really thinking hard about getting into and creating brews for my fire dept and naming it after my fire dept union local. I need to pick the Brains of you creators and make my dream a reality!!!!!

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely should. It's easier than you think. And it's beer that you made. I'll give you any advice I can. One suggestion from my personal experience is if you can, go all grain from the start. I have never been able to make an extract beer that I liked. People say they have, but all grain is where I finally turned the page on really enjoying the beer I made.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something i have been really thinking hard about getting into and creating brews for my fire dept and naming it after my fire dept union local. I need to pick the Brains of you creators and make my dream a reality!!!!!
If you can boil water then you can make beer. Beer wants to be made! It is hard to make a bad beer. A lot of good info on Homebrew Talk https://www.homebrewtalk.com/ and feel free to PM me, I can walk you throw a brew.

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kegged and carbed the first beer I've done in months, a double IPA with Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra. The grain bill was mostly 2-row, some honey malt, a bit of cara-pils and two pounds of some unknown, unlabeled malt from Northern Brewer, hence the "super secret limited edition." Of course, it tastes great and I have no idea what the mystery grain is.

20190925_155810.jpg 20190925_155745.jpg

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you bottle your keg beer and bring it with you how long does it last have you ever had one of your bottle beers a month out 2 months out who are you asking 3 months out? Just wondering

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually for immediate consumption. the "BM" bottle is actually a year old kegged and bottled blood orange dipa and I will let you know how it fared after we get back from the bar tonight.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about part of that message people were talking in the background while I was talk to texting the reason I was asking was I bottle all the time but if I could keg and then bottle some off the keg that will last that would be cool

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to brew about 10-12 years ago. Was in Hawaii where it’s warm year round so I could only brew ales and only in the winter. I believe ale yeast ferments from the bottom. I forget. But even with mildly warm temps, my whole batch would brew really fast and I always ended up with 7% abv. Kind of crazy to get tipsy off your own stuff. Even crazier to experience the headache the day after.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back