Beer brewers check in

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about part of that message people were talking in the background while I was talk to texting the reason I was asking was I bottle all the time but if I could keg and then bottle some off the keg that will last that would be cool

It really depends on how much oxygen you can keep out of the bottle. The well-over-a-year-old dipa we opened last night had plenty of carbonation left in it. The hops had definitely faded, however, but the same thing would have happened to one carbonated in a bottle.

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to brew about 10-12 years ago. Was in Hawaii where it’s warm year round so I could only brew ales and only in the winter. I believe ale yeast ferments from the bottom. I forget. But even with mildly warm temps, my whole batch would brew really fast and I always ended up with 7% abv. Kind of crazy to get tipsy off your own stuff. Even crazier to experience the headache the day after.

There have been some yeast strains that have been released from Norwegian strains (Voss Kviek, et al.) that actually perform better at higher temps. I had a batch made with the Omega Hothead yeast and fermented it at around 85 degrees and it finished with no off flavors, at all. They claim it will handle up to 95, I think.

As far as only doing ales because of the temperatures, the guys over at Brulosophy have run some experiments on warm-fermented lagers that have turned up some surprising -- and positive -- results. If you get a chance, you should look them up.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on how much oxygen you can keep out of the bottle. The well-over-a-year-old dipa we opened last night had plenty of carbonation left in it. The hops had definitely faded, however, but the same thing would have happened to one carbonated in a bottle.
Agree ipas are on a time line but I bet a stout would hold up..the year old one was still drinkable?

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely still drinkable, but that was at 4am or so after being out drinking all day long. I suppose there's not much I wouldn't have drank right then. Everyone else, most of whom had had the beer on a few occassions, said it was still very good and didn't notice any lack of carbonation. The only downside to kegging is cleaning the kegs, which beats washing bottles any day. Having a beer ready to drink the same day you rack it off the fermenter is a game changer.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some yeast strains that have been released from Norwegian strains (Voss Kviek, et al.) that actually perform better at higher temps. I had a batch made with the Omega Hothead yeast and fermented it at around 85 degrees and it finished with no off flavors, at all. They claim it will handle up to 95, I think.

As far as only doing ales because of the temperatures, the guys over at Brulosophy have run some experiments on warm-fermented lagers that have turned up some surprising -- and positive -- results. If you get a chance, you should look them up.
Thanks for the info. I bet beer brewing has changed a lot since I last did it. I need to get back in the game.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a brewer too. I just started last winter. I brew all grain, 5 gallon batches, bottle some and keg some. I had a friend many years ago who brewed his own beer and it was the best I beer I ever tasted. It just took me this long to start myself. Have a peach ale in the fermenter right now. Hoping to bottle/keg this weekend.
I have a robobrew which makes things super easy. I started doing it on my stove top but the robobrew is so much nicer.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the robobrew was going to buy one they were on sale at Northern but I already had so much other equipment I just spend the money on beer equipment when you already have some

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice....you surf there?
I have surfed here. But it’s not great. Not many sets and very few beaches with waves. I grew up in Hawaii and the surf there is great. Never surfed the monster waves there too much. A few times but man they are powerful. Funny story. In Hawaii, I’d finish work around 1am. Go home and brew my beer. Then go surf before the sun came up. Go home and have some drinks with my friends and crash at noon. Those were the days.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a brewer too. I just started last winter. I brew all grain, 5 gallon batches, bottle some and keg some. I had a friend many years ago who brewed his own beer and it was the best I beer I ever tasted. It just took me this long to start myself. Have a peach ale in the fermenter right now. Hoping to bottle/keg this weekend.
I have a robobrew which makes things super easy. I started doing it on my stove top but the robobrew is so much nicer.
How is the peach introduced into the ale on the second ferment? In the boil? Or is it a specialty grain that gives it that sort of flavor?

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 5 lbs of peach puree after fermentation started to die down so basically on day 3. Interesting enough though, the beer already smelled "peachy" before I added the peaches due to the combination of hops and yeast. I used cascade and citra in the boil and am dry hopping with amarillo. The yeast was Wyeast 1332 Northwest ale. The recipe came from Beersmith and is called summer peach ale. I got the inspiration to search for a recipe from a beer I had called Eat A Peach by Heavy Riff Brewing. Hope it tastes as good as it smells!

Last edited:

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love a good IPA or APA and finding a decent one around my area isn't always that easy.

Always wanted to give it a try... just don't know much about it or where to even start.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it’s really easy and the gear doesn’t have to be expensive. There are a bunch of helpful YouTube channels. Northern Brewer has guides on their website that are really good. Homebrewtalk.com is a forum with good info. Brewersfriend is also a good resource. I started brewing kits and have now started to search out recipes and buy the grains individually. If you have access to a local homebrew store they will likely be a great resource.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I don't believe anyone of you brew your own beer until you send it to MY house to be tested, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

davedamage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my Double Trouble clone this weekend and trying out a brew in the bag on propane for the first time, as well. 20191003_162616.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back